Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who may want to catch "countless" 12" rainbows Dowdy Lake may be a good bet.  A friend and I fished it today for a couple hours - me with my usual bead head black wooley bugger and he with a brown trout colored castmaster.  We rigged up in the parking lot and never changed.  It honestly seemed like a hit every cast though it wasn't.  Biggest fish was a 19" rainbow but the average was about 12".  This lake is reached by taking 287 north out of Ft Collins and then left at the town of Livermore and about 25 miles to the lake.   John

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: Dowdy Lake

Nice post, directions and all. Where did you fish? You don't have to tell if you don't want. But something simple like the west side or the east side is specific enough for me. Part of the fun behind fishing is finding them, not relying on someone to find them for me!

F

·
0 Posts
Re: Dowdy Lake

I fished dowdy a couple weeks ago really fun place. The biggest we caught was maybe 15 or so. Dowdy is a great place for the kids!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We parked at the parking lot at the end of the road. We fished just past the south end of the dam and caught fish everywhere along the shore for another 100m beyond. Shallow "flats" were very good too but you'll have to strip in/reel fairly fast. I've always liked the first point just past the dam the best. As a matter of fact, that is an awesome spot for ice fishing. If you fish 9 to 12' deep just off the 1st point you'll usually hammer them with tube jigs and small kastmasters. This is a great place for lots of action but not huge fish normally. My best there is a 4lb brown during ice-out 2 years ago and a 24" rainbow several summers ago. Both were on - guess what - black wooley buggers!!!! Am I in a rut or what!! Thse fish are anomalies though. I've not fished any spots on the lake other than the dam side. John

F

·
0 Posts
fatfish. There is really easy acsess (spelling bee champ) in some places that would be perfect for the kids. Then they other places like the dam john is talking about its not that bad of a walk either. Walking down the rip rap on the dam can be a pain. all in all dowdy has really good acsess for older people and kids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts