Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a downrigger to use at 11 mile. Does anyone have any advice about which brand, size, weight size, etc. I'm going to target lake trout, rainbows, and kokanee. Thanks

·
Registered
16,566 Posts
The bottom changes so abruptly at e-mile that youll spend all day winding it up and down.Just my opinion,but a real Pain in the ars.Drifting and jigging or draggin stuff works well.

E

·
0 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
I'm in the market for a downrigger to use at 11 mile.  Does anyone have any advice about which brand, size, weight size, etc.  I'm going to target lake trout, rainbows, and kokanee.  Thanks
I've had good luck with my cannon. It's the electic one without the telescoping boom.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
M,

I have a modest set up, two inexpensive Cannon sport trolls. My serious Michigan fishing partner/guide has 6 digitrolls on the back of his boat. Electric is the way to go if you can. I'm going to try to upgrade next year.

I like Cannon manual Downriggers because you can work them with one hand, dropping and winding back up is all through the handle. Some of the others don't work that way. You do have to watch your depth pretty close, of course any time your trolling on or near a uneven bottom you have pay attention. We wire line a lot too and it's the same deal pay attention. Down riggers are also nice for suspended fish. You know exactly where your bait is relative to the fish.

In my opinion Eleven Mile is not a "lake trout" lake. Granby, Twin Lakes, Jefferson, Williams Fork, Blue Mesa, and Green Mountain all have many more lakers.

Terre

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Jay,

In my experience Dipsy's and other divers work fine in big water when your not trying to stay close to the bottom. I have tried Dipsys here, and I tend to fly them right into the bank every pass over a spot.

For me I never really know where my bait is unless the line is nearly vertical with some sort of heavy weight and line counter (ie a downrigger), or its bouncing along in close contact with the bottom with a wireline type set up (wire/super line heavy rod and a 12-16 oz weight). We typically have the pilot call out changing depth so we can stay close to the bottom. Slayer is right, its more work, you get pulled off the release and have to reel 8 pounds of weight to the surface, electric is good.

Terre

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have to handcrank telascopeing cannons I have used them in a bunch of diffrent lakes. I used dipsey divers before them, downriggers are the only way to go. IF i go to electric i will get the fishfinder downrigger system that automaticly ajust to the depth.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Methiolate Man said:
I'm in the market for a downrigger to use at 11 mile. Does anyone have any advice about which brand, size, weight size, etc. I'm going to target lake trout, rainbows, and kokanee. Thanks
I agree with others that Elevenmile is a tricky lake for downriggers. I have used them a lot at Grandby, though. I have two manual Cannon telescoping zoom (Uni-troll model) with 8 pound weights and they work great. I think it is important to have a swivel base, especially with the telescoping models.

I also know a great site for Cannon downrigger parts online: www.captgarys.com

Hope this helps,
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts