Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may buy a manual downrigger to troll up some kokanee this summer. What do I need? What should I look for/stay away from in terms of the riggers, releases, rods, etc.?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Didn't you read Ewerts blog? Lake Trout anglers are anti kokanee, lol.

Any manual rigger should be fine, I'm spoiled with electrics. I like heavy downrigger weights to keep them away from the motors if mounted forward (mid) some like lighter ones to wash out more if mounted rear. I like scotty releases, rubber snubbers help keep from losing fish.
Rainbow colored Kokanee king is a great lure with or without a flasher. White shoe peg corn doesn't hurt either. We traditionally can ours and love catching and eating.
Careful it can get addicting, lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
I agree with Redleader. I have scotty electrics and use offshore releases with a rubber snubber for Kokes. Manual riggers work well also, but electrics are nice if you fish alone and you hook up. I had some Cannon downriggers at one time and they worked just fine but they did sit up higher off the gunnels than the scottys.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Wow the world is ending...GoFindYourOwnDamnFish trolling for forage!...and yes that salmon you made was badass...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Who the F has hacked into this account???????

I've been schooled trawling isn't fishing.....

Anyway, I had a couple manual Cannon doenriggers that served me well. Imo if you plan to troll once in a while, manual is the way to go. If you're wanting to go all out and become a master trawler then electric is going to be the way to go. I was actually looking into downriggers last night for my new fishing desires. Cannon has great reabates right now - $150 mail in on their larger manual downriggers. The rebates are good into June if I remember right.

The cpw is doing a number on us laker fanatics. We're trolling, fishing for forage, resorting to out of state warm water fishing.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I agree with LONGHORN... I have little to add other than making sure you buy a good swivel mount. They are a must.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!! An occasional trawling for forage just might be in my future.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I agree with LONGHORN... I have little to add other than making sure you buy a good swivel mount. They are a must.
X2 on the swivel mounts. I'm spoiled with Trawling for fast action kings in Ak, if any of you guys ever want to plan a trip up and hop in8)

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
X2 on the swivel mounts. I'm spoiled with Trawling for fast action kings in Ak, if any of you guys ever want to plan a trip up and hop in8)
I would love to do that, Steve!! That's a wonderful offer and I may just take you up on it. :smile:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Wow the world is ending...GoFindYourOwnDamnFish trolling for forage!...and yes that salmon you made was badass...
Holly Guacamole Don!!! Going to the dark side are you?

If you are ever in Denver, I have a few fish bonkers I can set you up with; as Z once called them after successfully bonking a salmon on the head. Canon.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One of these days! I appreciate the offer! That has got to be a blast. Did your trawling gear work out the way you were hoping? Looked like a great set-up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
there is nothing wrong with some simple cannon lake troll riggers. Yeah you have to crank it up every time. There is nothing like the hum of the cable cutting salt water, especially in the winter. Anyways, I haven't trolled Colorado but you will be happy with whatever as long are you learn to use them correctly. I use to run 2 lines off one rigger, it took some learning but you get better coverage.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Holly Guacamole Don!!! Going to the dark side are you?

If you are ever in Denver, I have a few fish bonkers I can set you up with; as Z once called them after successfully bonking a salmon on the head. Canon.
An epic trip it was almost 10 years ago...two epic versions of the trip...one factual (mine)...my first koke trip, never used a fish bonker (downrigger) before that trip...and my first baitcaster...Ihave over come that use one for swimbaits now...too bad the pictures are lost from the story...here is the thread...

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/6-colorado-fishing-reports/9242-elevenmile-7-23-06-a.html

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
One of these days! I appreciate the offer! That has got to be a blast. Did your trawling gear work out the way you were hoping? Looked like a great set-up.
Yes and no, I change out the stainless steel cable for braid and it turned out to be a mistake.
On electric Cannons the cable is what grounds the unit, so with braid the automatic stop doesn't work and the electronic board started acting up.
I changed them back out to cable and they work fine now.
On scotty's you can run braid without any problems.
The other advantage of cable is you get the positive ions going that is supposed to attract fish.
I now have 800 yards of spare 400lb braid,lol.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Trolling? SMH-

Hey Don I have a nice Scotty manual I'd sell for $50. Bought it brand new in 2000. Used it maybe 10 times. Has 2 balls, 2 releases.

What a dumb ass way to fish!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Where do you live in Alaska, Redleader? I'm toying with the idea of a trip to Alaska in the Fall of 2017...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Where do you live in Alaska, Redleader? I'm toying with the idea of a trip to Alaska in the Fall of 2017...
I'm in Homer down at the bottom of the Kenai peninsula.
Fall is the best time for Feeder King salmon fishing.
PM me If I can help you with your plans, Steve.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Nothing wrong with trolling.
Sure I'd rather cast or jig but a successful Angler does what it takes. Spring and summer suspended fish like Salmon are generally caught trolling.
My Hawaii boats gonna have outriggers on it so I can spread out and cover more area. Troll at 7mph there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts