Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a nice walk up to Dream Lake. Arrived around 5:00pm. Fished for a little while and landed this nice Cut-throat with fly (orange asher) and bobble. Used a net and fish handeling gloves. Took one photo and released it immediately.

Beautiful Fish!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Man I wanted to land a cutty on my trip this last week but ran out of time, first 2 days felt like I had all the time in the world then the trip was over. I'll get me some next time.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I went up there today with my family. My two little girls caught eight beautiful cutts in less than an hour. Dad got none--it's OK. I was getting tennis elbow after a couple days of flyfishing and watching the excitement on their faces was more fun than me actually catching fish. They had a big time unfair advantage. Being younger than 12, they were able to use salmon eggs. Figuring that I could have some success with the girls "chumming" the water with their real eggs, I decided to use a glow bug-no luck. Changing plans, I noticed that there were tons of foot long cutts right in front of us "sipping" the surface for something white. The best I could figure was something like a pale morning dun, but no takers. I went down to Kirk's Flyshop in Estes, telling how it really looked bad that Dad got skunked in front of his girls, and he said I was on the right track--I just needed a number 24 in a pale white fuzzy thing. He suggested taking a pair of scissors to an appropriately small fly and giving it a haircut.

By the way, great guy that Kirk and his dad. Hard workers. It was about 7 pm on a Sunday night and he was still open and available for advice, and I purchased a few flies like I always do when I get local advice.

In any case, this is a great little pond and I told my wife that I'd like my ashes spread here so I can flyfish for cutthroat in the afterlife--it's going to be really cold, though, so if you hear a ghost howling around the lake late at night, build a campfire for me.

T

·
0 Posts
I think the picture was taking after the fish was released.

Just messin' w/ ya....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts