Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up to the Dream Stream about 9:00AM only 3 cars in the far parking lot closest to the Spinney dam. Most of the river iced until you got closer to Spinney. It was -4 degrees and once that wind kicked in about 10:00am I think it was around -14 wind chill. I only was able to fish for about an hour because casting was almost impossible. While walking along the bank, when I first hiked down, I noticed someting big in the river as I got closer I noticed with the polarized glasses it was a HUGE brown trout at least 25+ and fat. Tried to sight cast however spoked this wiley old brown and it took off as fast as I had spotted it. After fishing for about 1 hour with no hits I decided to make one last cast. Can you believe fish on! it was a fat 18 inch hook jaw brown with the biggest mouth I've ever seen on a fish that size I could have fit my fist halfway in its mouth thats how big it's mouth was. I looked like a footbal my guess around 3-4 lbs (fat fish). That made the wind burn and the walk worth it. Line and guides were ice'n up so decided to go warm up and go down to see how the tournament was going (lots of shaty's on the ice). I then noticed my tire was really low. The ranger up there J.W. and Gene helped me out by filling me up with a portable aircompressor they had (thanks again for the help if you guys read this). I thought I could make it to the springs so I could get it fixed (were is ePic when you need someone in the Springs  :-\  probable fishing at Pikeview or working) . Made may way slowly to the nearest Discount tire company. Thinking it was just either a cold air leak or a nail picked up on the Spinney dirt road, I thought I would be out of there in no time after they filled / fixed the leak. When they took the tire off it was no good with some sidewall damage. It would have surely blown going 75+ mile on the way back to Denver. Then another good thing happened I met Geoff Clark the Manager up there at Discount. He did not pressure me into buying 1 or all new tires he simply gave me the exact same size used tire with even more tread just so I would make it safe back to Denver (class act Thanks a million too). If anyone in the Springs needs tires go see Geoff Clark and his staff they have a top notch team there and I honestly can say I was glad I stopped into that place even if I was not a local customer they treated me like one. Well my adventure was about 5 hours of commuting and 1 hour of fishing. What it worth it? Yeah because now I have a good story for the campfire this summer. Sorry no pictures of Brown could not find my SD card for my camera this morning before leaving.

TH

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Man TroutHunter, I almost went to Spinney Mountain Ranch Saturday. But the girl told me we were having company, then the company canceled on me. Glad you made it back ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts