Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'll be in Greenwood Village (south of Denver) in July and I want to fly fish the Dream Stream. I can go Rt. 285 to Fairplay or I-25 to Colorado Springs/Woodland Park. I have done a MapQuest and the directions don't look right, they have the route on long stretched on unpaved roads.
ONE PROBLEM is I am not sure how to reach the Dream Stream. Do I go the Spinney Mt. State park? Eleven Mile State Park?, or someplace in between? Then is there any restricted use/permits needed? From the maps I have it looks like I can be on Rt. 24 until I'm due North and then head straight south but I can't figure out which roads. In any event any direction help appreciated. The route down I-25 is shorter but just to see the area I might want to go to Fairplay unless the drive east from Manitou Springs is more scenic. As I said, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Go up one way and come down the other if you are driving during daylight. Both routes are fairly scenic. Be advised that weekday traffic between Co. Springs and Denver on I-25 is a living hell. :thumb:

There is a parking lot between the two reservoirs.

State Parks pass is required.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hi, I'll be in Greenwood Village (south of Denver) in July and I want to fly fish the Dream Stream. I can go Rt. 285 to Fairplay or I-25 to Colorado Springs/Woodland Park. I have done a MapQuest and the directions don't look right, they have the route on long stretched on unpaved roads.
ONE PROBLEM is I am not sure how to reach the Dream Stream. Do I go the Spinney Mt. State park? Eleven Mile State Park?, or someplace in between? Then is there any restricted use/permits needed? From the maps I have it looks like I can be on Rt. 24 until I'm due North and then head straight south but I can't figure out which roads. In any event any direction help appreciated. The route down I-25 is shorter but just to see the area I might want to go to Fairplay unless the drive east from Manitou Springs is more scenic. As I said, any help appreciated.
Honestly man the dream stream kinda sucks the vast majority of the year. All the pics you see of the monster fish in there are from very specific times of the year when there are big migratory fish moving through. The Kokanee run is another phenomenon that only occurs for a short period much later in the year. Do what you will but if it was me out there id fish Spinney reservoir and eleven mile canyon and forget all about the dream stream. I spent four or five days out there in the last couple weeks and fishing the dream stream never even crossed my mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't go thru spinney to get to the dream unless you plan to fish the res. It costs seven bucks to go that way. Take 24 west from Colo spgs. Once you drop down from the pass look on the left side for the big sign for chaparral store. Turn left and go to the end, take another left, about a mile or so down take the right turn and park at the river. Walk up or down from there. And I'll second the dream sucks bad outside of the spawn rape. Definitely float the red or eleven mile canyon.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Honestly man the dream stream kinda sucks the vast majority of the year. All the pics you see of the monster fish in there are from very specific times of the year when there are big migratory fish moving through. The Kokanee run is another phenomenon that only occurs for a short period much later in the year. Do what you will but if it was me out there id fish Spinney reservoir and eleven mile canyon and forget all about the dream stream. I spent four or five days out there in the last couple weeks and fishing the dream stream never even crossed my mind.
DS doesn't suck most of the year... Its good fishing, maybe not the huge trophy fish most of the year but that's what makes it fun then, right?

Good hatches, lots of good stream habitat, and there are a few big resident fish in the river that live there year-round...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks to all. Maybe I'll skip the I-25 as I'll be getting in late the night before and leaving early to fish (tired/sleepy) so bad traffic is best avoided. I think I'll go Rt. 285 to Fairplay and then Rt.9 Hartsel and then Rt 24 to just before Wilkerson Pass. There is a road that is supposed to be paved (San Juan, CR 23?) that I am told to take south until hitting a dead end (59?), I was told I can go left or right but left is a $7 fee and right I can park for free- does that sound right"?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
DS doesn't suck most of the year... Its good fishing, maybe not the huge trophy fish most of the year but that's what makes it fun then, right?

Good hatches, lots of good stream habitat, and there are a few big resident fish in the river that live there year-round...
Well based on what else is in the vicinity, I wouldn't fish it now.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
just get into the area , then follow the masses. you'll get there!:D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I'm from outside the state and it might be my only time there, the "Dream Stream" is sort of a, "Yeah..been there..done that.." kind of a thing. Thanks for telling me the best time is during spawning runs as I might have spent a lot longer there than I will. I plan to move over to 11 mile Canyon and may do that earlier in the day.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I'm not sure why saying you've been somewhere is important?

Go where the fishing is good.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Push through to the Ark up by Granite. Awesome caddis dry fly fishing this time of year, the river should be coming down, beautiful scenery... Not a ton of people, classic western fly fishing, can't be beat.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Too windy, and boring as hell to look at too. 11 mile is 1000% better in that area.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey, if you want to go fish the Dream Stream, go fish it and have fun! Just don't expect a 5lb trout on every cast...

·
Registered
386 Posts
A note, Spinney is now full and they are dumping a LOT of water into the "Nightmare Stream", I believe its 375cfs+. The middle fork and the south fork are still ripping and very off color.
Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts