Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fished a lot in 11-mile canyon and was thinking of heading over to the Dream Stream next week. I've never fished over there and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where to go and what to use. I have some friends coming in from the east coast and want to show of our great state. We are going to the canyon one day and the Dream Stream the next.

I'm used to using the small midges, RS2s, Copper Johns, etc, in 11-mile canyon. I heard SJ worms and egg patterns also work on the Dream Stream, but wanted some advice from the experts. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've always done well at the Dream Stream with bright green or peach colored egg pattern with a 22 Rainbow Warrior dropper (check out Orvis for this pattern).

Don't forget to use enough weight to get your offering down the deep holes.

And if you hook up with a real bigun', having a friend right there with a net is invaluable!!!

Good luck, take pics, and have fun!

Lip Ripper

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tube Jigs at the Dream Stream?!? ::)  Are you serious? :eek:   Why not just throw some powerbait out there. :D

Tollman - Sounds like you're a fly fisherman from your initial post...go with that.  You'll do great. 

Lip Ripper

·
Registered
117 Posts
if your using spinning gear, just be careful not to spook the fish.

Fishinguitars once suggested to stand back a bit from the water.

I found this to be GREEAT advice!! thx fg!  

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Bring some large rocks for you pockets or else you might blow away. I say bring both flies and spinning gear. It's not too fun flycasting if you're in gale force winds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's true about the wind!!!

The trick is to lay flat on your back (fly rod in hand) and when the wind dies down (for about 5 seconds), jump up and double haul your presentation ;D In actuality, nymphing isn't too tough unless the winds are really strong.

But if the winds are bad, just head back to the canyon. Still some great fish in there too!

Lip Ripper

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Lip Ripper said:
Tube Jigs at the Dream Stream?!? ::)  Are you serious? :eek:   Why not just throw some powerbait out there. :D

Tollman - Sounds like you're a fly fisherman from your initial post...go with that.  You'll do great. 

Lip Ripper
Do you fish the dream stream? Tube's imitate crawfish and there are millions in the dream stream. Tubes are a wise thing to carry if you are not fly fishing the dream stream.

W

·
0 Posts
Help me out here. I'm too lazy to look on a map for where 11 mile canyon and the dream stream are. I live in Broomfield, how do I get there and where do I fish. Sorry for being ignorant. O0

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
11mile and Spinney are in the middle of South Park Valley... If you can get to highway 24 you can get there. From the Springs I take I-25 to cimmarron exit (highway 24 exit) and just head towards the mountains, its about an hour and a half from town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips - I'll post and let everyone know how it went. Hopefully I have fish photos to post. Most of my action shots are usually me re-tying after a bunch of wind knots! ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts