Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my cousin(Irishman) fished the dream stream yesterday. We walked the entire stretch from the fence below spinney all the way to past the bridge at elevenmile. Started fishing at around 6am and got didnt get back to the car until around 7pm. Fishing was good with thomas boyants in gold, rapala's, and tube jigs. We both missed a couple of real hogs but ended up landing some nice fish anyways. As usuall fly fisherman where everywhere and I only seen one land a decent fish the rest of them were catching little 8inch trout. Great day on the water and really got to see some nice holes walking the whole stretch.

Most of the cuttbows we caught looked like they have been hooked a time or two.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Great job dude! Looks like you had a beautiful day. Blue skies and rainbows. Sounds like a song my kids sing in Sunday school.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Got to love the Dream Stream... I know what you mean about the cutbows being hooked a time or two. Good Job.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
besides the walk back it was a really great day...as usuall the "one more cast" thing had us walking back in the dark with no flashlights and cold temps. We could see the ranger looking for us be not much we could do to notify him. Of course we didn't have our cell phones either. We ended up getting a little lost in the dark and jumping a couple barbwire fences to get back. I'm pretty sure we both learned our lesson.

1. allways carry a flashlight in your tackle
2. allways have a good supply of water and at least a power bar
3. although annoying your cell phone should also be carried when spending hours upon hours on the water.

We both ate one donut in the morning and that was it for the day. We each drank some coffee on the way up and a 32 oz gatorade. So needless to say we were extremely exhuasted and dehydrated when we began our walk back. Not being to familiar with area(only my 3rd time) we started walking a road in the dark that took us way off course. After walking an hour or so getting farther and farther away I said f#%* it!!! lets get to the river and follow it up. After that it was smooth sailing but it did get freezing cold and of course with the nice temps during the heat of the day we took off our jackets and stocking caps off and put them in the truck. Great day on the water but I did realize that wanting to have that "one more cast" for two hours can really put you in some unwanted situations.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
For some reason that walk back to the parking lot there really sucks... you can work your way all the way to the mouth of 11 mile like it was nothing then you turn around to go back to the car and you are like what in the world, I didnt walk that far!!!
I always have the camel pack when I'm out there for that reason, and usually a granola bar in a pocket.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice fish and excellent pics, FG! I think a day like that is worth the trouble. Can't beat that weather, either. What a great Autumn we've been having.

I also think you're preaching to the choir about the "one-more-cast" syndrome. Been there, done that, for sure! 8)

That's why I always carry not one, but two small flashlights in my backpack. (The small size let's me hold it in my teeth while I tie another fly or lure on my line for that "one-more-cast" in the fading light! ) ;D

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Fishinguitars,

Being a shore fisherman, pulling out big hogs, and writing for F&H you made me think of old Ed Marsh "the pike hunter", that guy was great...he could outfish anybody wether they had a boat or not.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I'm going this weekend. Do you really get cell phone coverage there? That would be awesome. I have Cingular. I know what you mean about getting hungry during the day. I always carry a lot of snacks. I primarily fly fish, but I carry a telescoping ultralight spinning rod with me when the action gets slow. I love those vicious hits I get with Kastmasters and Roostertails, and catching a hog on a pole that's only a tiny bit above a Barbie pole (I borrow it from my little daughter) is a lot of fun.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wonmorefish I was using F7's and F9's its rapala's new rainbow patern.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
silicone you can get cell phone coverage there, but you have to walk around like chris farley in black sheep to get a signal

·
Registered
174 Posts
fishinguitars said:
As usuall fly fisherman where everywhere and I only seen one land a decent fish the rest of them were catching little 8inch trout. 
Bless their hearts, they sure try hard don't they :)
I can't count the number of times I've tried to get my flyfishing buddies onto big fish...only to give up after a few minutes and catch the darn thing myself!

Great fish FG, us "uncivil" lure fishermen have to keep it real and keep those big fish from getting too comfortable ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
F.G.--This is probably a dumb question, but when you talk about catching trout on tubes, what kind of tubes are you speaking of? Are they like the ones I would bass fish with, only smaller??---Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
bassmasters65 said:
F.G.--This is probably a dumb question, but when you talk about catching trout on tubes, what kind of tubes are you speaking of? Are they like the ones I would bass fish with, only smaller??---Thanks
Until January any tube used has to be atleast 1.5 inches, so the little ones for panfish are illegal to use there. In January they will be legal to use as long as they arent scented.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
same berkley tubes you use for bass fishing. Instead of texas rigging with an offset worm hook I stick a jig head inside of the tube.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts