Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scary stuff guys my cousin and I fished the section closer to spinney today and caught 34 northerns!!!! Yea you read that right 34 all between 14 and 18 inches....it got annoying after a while we were trying to get into some big bows or browns. I'm callingthe DOW tomorrow to see what they say. There were a few flyfisherman out there today I wonder if they got into any. We were crashing the hatch with big jerk baits when we started getting into these northerns. Pretty scary stuff!!! :(

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
well did you harvest them? Hope so! That many small northerns can be bad news.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't its all catch and release not matter what species.  I called early this fall when my cousin caught one...We weren't sure what to do so released it and thats just what the DOW said to do.  It's catch and release for everything that swims in the dream stream even suckers.  

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
geez...while I hate having a pretty much blanket no bag limit on pike statewide (where some fisheries even need catch and release!) in that case it would be helpful. It's a shame the pike are in there. However, at a time like this you should consider and find comfort in the yampa river. FULL of HUGE pike and also FULL of HUGE trout. They are not similar bodies of water though and probably it is much more dangerous for the dream stream to have those northerns.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the dream stream is small....a 5ft deep section on the dream stream is a pretty deep hole...and I can't think of any part of the dream stream that you can't easily cast to the other side. Maybe there is a boom of small pike everyear and they just don't survive....not sure whats going on

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
maybe they winter in there for the fresh oxygen? Is spinney a shallow and weedy lake? If so, they are probably spinney mountain residents that head up during the later part of the winter after the weeds have died and the dissolved oxygen content of the water is much lower.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gotta admit though, It was fun for a while gettin into a mess of these little guys even though thats not were I wanna be
catchin em.. We ended up with some nice Bo's and browns!

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TFB, Spinney does have some shallow weedy areas, but the way these guys got into the stream was from the dam, When they pump water these fish along with all the other species get washed down into the stream, so once they are in there, they stay.. That is unless they die off..

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can probably find some dream stream pike from earlier in the year, but cold temps take energy out of batteries so fast we didn't get any good pictures.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We had both of our cameras with us but unfortunatley(sp) the cold weather takes its toll on those batteries.. We got one of the first fish of the day on fishinguitars camera but after that they stopped workin.. We tried to put hand warmers on the batteries but it was a no go!!

Ya what he said!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Irishman said:
We had both of our cameras with us but unfortunatley(sp) the cold weather takes its toll on those batteries.. We got one of the first fish of the day on fishinguitars camera but after that they stopped workin.. We tried to put hand warmers on the batteries but it was a no go!!
If you keep your camera in your inside coat pocket it helps.... but your batteries will still darin it just helps.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Epic we tried everything.. First we put the camera and the batteries in a double layered thermal sock, then we put hand warmers in there, then we stuff them in our inside coat pocket, but when the wind is blowin and the temps are dropping, what can you do.. It usually works though!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Irishman said:
Epic we tried everything.. First we put the camera and the batteries in a double layered thermal sock, then we put hand warmers in there, then we stuff them in our inside coat pocket, but when the wind is blowin and the temps are dropping, what can you do.. It usually works though!!
I know what you mean, especially in southpark. That area is just hella cold and eats batteries. The main reason I bought the camera I have is because of its extra ordinary battery life, but even out there I lose about 2/3 of its life.

dogkatcher said:
are north. pike good to eat??

nice pic, i thought of a mini-crocadile lookin at it
Yes pike are very good to eat, but you cant keep any species of fish caught in this stretch of the South Platte.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Pike in the Dream Stream is nothing new. Heck, I would bet they are back already at Tarryall, they would help to thin out some of the smaller trout.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
MY buddy has a cabin really close to Tarayall and he said this year at the general store in Jefferson he has seen a 5 lbs. brown and 32" pike that came from tarayall through the ice.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'm not surprised there are pike in the Dream Stream. Fertilized eggs either get flushed through the dam at Spinney or those fish simply swim up river out of 11-Mile, which would be my guess. There may be more pike in there in the winter due to the water released from Spinney being a bit warmer than the water in the reservoirs. I'm sure they love the habitat in the river and also have plenty to forage on.

I think most fisherman who fish the DS are fly fisherman using nymphs or smaller flies and don't hook into pike very often. I don't think many people throw hardware in there like Fishing Guitars does.

No matter how those fish are getting in the river I think it would be difficult to get them out. There should be mandatory pike removal in the river IMO.

Thanks for the notice FG!

Rip Lip

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Irishman said:
TFB, Spinney does have some shallow weedy areas, but the way these guys got into the stream was from the dam, When they pump water these fish along with all the other species get washed down into the stream, so once they are in there, they stay.. That is unless they die off..
They could of just swam up from 11-Mile also? There was a bunch of Pike that size and smaller just below the inlet in November.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts