Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to add a trolling plate, don't want the weight/maintenance/expense of a kicker. So someone turned me on to the idea of Drift Socks to regulate trolling speed. Amish Outfitters Buggy Bags! Seem to be highly recommended by some mid-west fisherman.

Question is what size, 15", 18"? Run 2 of them, port/starboard? Run one bigger solo out the back? Anyone with experience.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Run one on each side with a line off the bow so they are in the middle on each side out of the way.
Size them per your boat size.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I used a single big one that was tied to just one side of my boat.. it worked fine, but I think 2 would be better if it's an option. They sure work nice...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
I use my Minnkota a lot for trolling. But I don't go on long trolling sessions usually. Couple hours at most. Works quite well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ready to put this setup together, one on each side, 15" from the mid-ship cleat. 16.5' Lund Mrpike w/ 90hp. Hopefully will run close to the hull and allow me to land fish over them. Not a huge commitment, $65.00!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
DON'T Buy 2 BAGS...
Just clip ONE off the FRONT roller winch hook and let it go UNDER the boat about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way back...
2 Bags is a PITA...
That ONE bag will trail under your HULL and eliminate the "lever effect"
Course, You'll need to figure out how large a bag You need...

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have used them for years and have hated them every timeat times 2 are one to many and at times 3 is not enough. getting lures hooked in them happens often. your boat is hard to steer with 1 easer with2 but the best way I have found to get just the right speed is to run you trolling motor to push backwards against the main motor and steer with the trolling motor. that way you can control the speed better. wind and waves change all the time and with bags you cant control your speed much, there aren't many places in colo. where you can troll in one direction for long. with your trolling motor you can change your speed at a touch of a button, not so with bags out. on pueblo I am changing speed every few minutes because the wind is never right, there are way to many points and coves that alter your speed. if you control the speed good you will catch more fish. your lure will stay in the strike zone all the time. 2 or3 tenths will change the depth your lure runs. I have fished in wind that we put the anchor out to drag bottom and 2 bags out to slow down in a strong north wind, that day we caught fish but nothing would slow us enough to stay on fish, after you drifted too far you pulled everything up and used the big motor to go to shore and start over each drift only lasted about 10 minutes. so if you have all the ways to control your speed it helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
DON'T Buy 2 BAGS...
Just clip ONE off the FRONT roller winch hook and let it go UNDER the boat about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way back...
2 Bags is a PITA...
That ONE bag will trail under your HULL and eliminate the "lever effect"
Course, You'll need to figure out how large a bag You need...

I've also had good luck with this

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
best way I have found to get just the right speed is to run you trolling motor to push backwards against the main motor and steer with the trolling motor. that way you can control the speed better.
Seeker... that is genius! I've got a good bow mounted electric and doing your suggestion gives me an option when I want slower in that pushing tail wind. Reason I'm wanting this is for kokanee trolling. I went to Blue Mesa in June on a friends boat and my speed would have been way off. Running the electric all day at 3/4 speed wouldn't last long if I used it as my primary. Maybe I should just bolt on the $200 trolling plate! Thanks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I tried a single 48" (?) BPS bag this year early in the summer on a few windy days. It knocked my speed down by 0.5 mph. I tied it off the stern and it gave me nice drifts over my target area. Also used marker buoys which made it easy to drift from point to point and then drive back to start again. My Terrova batteries were good for only about two hours and I didn't want to spring for new batteries just then, hence the attempt at the drift sock to get through the day. It packs compactly and is out of the way on the boat. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts