Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what reel to use in close quarter river walking like Waterton............ closed face zebco 33 type or a open face spinner type? (I don't have a fly rod) I'll be drifting a worm with a split shot for the 1st time. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Definetly go with the open face spinning as long as you a comfortable with this type of reel. As far as the size I would recommend the mid size which is usually listed as a 2000 or 25000 and sometimes a 20 in other brands.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do...... Garts has a nice mid size on sale for $16. Diawa. I'll go pick it up. "Honey, I had too get it.......... Roth2000 said so!" Thanks agn for the info on Yampa too.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
it depends on the size of the fish and the line weight you use. most places i fish have smaller fish 16" or so and i prefer light line mostly 2# so i use the smallest reel i can find on an ultralight rod

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The reel doesnt matter much when drifting a night crawler, I would just suggest not getting a reel with a 6:1 gear ratio as this would move the worm too fast and not look natural. I suggest a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio. Any reel you feel comfortable with will work.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Sunman said:
So Rick, which reels with a 3-1 ratio would you recommend?
Im not a big brand guy, I buy what I can when I can. If thats a cheap reel then thats what I get. I am currently using a zebco 33 (very cheap) and a quantum for my spinning reel.(not sure on model but a middle of the line model) Get what your comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Oh sorry I think he ment they dont make 3:1 gear ratio reels... My bad I use to have a reel that was 3.8:1 just assumed they made them that low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, thanks for the input. This info makes sense. I thought for accuracy or something one was better than another. I guess it depends on the user. It's interesting that a 2# line is OK w/an ultra light rod/reel.... I guess then even a 8" brookie will feel like a 4 pounder! HA....... Thanks all.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just make sure you match your rod size to your reel size so it's balanced. Don't get an ultralight rod with a mid size reel or a medium rod with an ultralight reel (hook set will break line). Brands don't seem to matter much anymore since they are usually less than $20-30. If they break you throw them away. I like Shimano myself if I have to buy a cheap reel for the kids. I personally fish with Cardinal C3's and C4's, or Lew's spinning reels that are about 15 yrs old from when I used to make a living fishing anda could always get the best... I use a 6' medium light rod and about 4-6lb test XL line when drifting bait in the river. The six lb test will help get you un-hung. Good luck.

M

·
0 Posts
I would reccomend a Mitchell 308X... It's like $20-$25, and I have had mine for almost 6 years. It's a fairly small reel, but I have caught big fish on it. I also have...my baby...a Quantum Energy....but I have the 30 size, also I would reccomend something cheap and durable (not that the expensive one isnt durable) because often times when I'm drifting worms I have to whack through a bunch of woods and junk to get to the river/stream, and I don't wanna worry about the reel. The smoothness and stuff doesn't really come into play, because when you are drifting the worm...you aren't reeling until you have a fish on...at least the way I do it. You don't need a ton of line or a huge reel, just something tough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts