Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experience with drill conversion kits? I have watched countless videos and read a ton of reviews. I am wondering everyone's feed back before I purchase one. I see in the videos they use 6" augers. Can you use a 8"? Thanks for your input

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
I am going that route with an 8. Rigid tools finally came out with brushless with their lifetime warranty. Just make sure you register it. And if you want lots of opinions on it go to www.iceshanty.com and do a search.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Used one at one of our get togethers on Chatfield last year (sorry but I forgot whose it was) and I was BLOWN AWAY by it's performance. I'd make the move if I didn't have a 6" lazer hand auger.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Lot of info on these conversions here on the forum, use the search function to find the treads about them. To let everybody know BPS has the Clam plate conversion kits in stock at the Denver store along with a bunch of accessories. They also have the Automatic Fishermen in stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was also blown away when I saw it in action on the videos. I like it cause no more mixing gas, warm up period. You can get a 12v charger for the drill, don't have to worry about fumes, you can stack functions I.e drill your anchors and holes in the ice. Zman is right, rigid is the way to go. They have the best warranty. I will check that sight out. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I love mine...I would NOT use an 8"...frankly, unless you're fishing for lakers you just don't need 8". I have the claim plate with a Ryobi 18v. I get about 20 holes a battery...when ice gets more than 14" or so, time to use gas. It's awesome for most of my ice fishing

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been using one of these, http://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit?utm_source=google_ps&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_ps&gclid=Cj0KEQiAj8uyBRDawI3XhYqOy4gBEiQAl8BJbcNpDtfVPMF4kh7X-W0f5nU0Qjw7kOsOLHTPUwQ4BRAaAnlf8P8HAQ
for the last 3 years with my 6" laser hand auger and a 20V craftsman drill. Just make sure whatever drill you use has metal gears. 8" of ice I can get 30+ holes on a full charge in one battery and I take both with me. If the ice is thicker than 8" I take the gas auger out.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Steer clear from the K-drill.. if you are going to spend as much as the salesman suggests, you may as well get a battery powered auger. I would also avoid the cheap mounts that simply make the auger head fit in the chuck of your drill. Getting the mounting plate is a good place in between. The plate is around $50 and works fine with 6" augers. It doesn't perform well with 8".

I am not one who thinks this replaces a gas auger, but for thinner ice, it works great.. I also suggest some kind of insulated cooler to keep your batteries in.. maybe toss a foot warmer in with em... warmer batteries are happier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on guys, I appreciate the feed back. I agree with Oyey. I will just use a 6". That hole is plenty for trout. I am going with the clam. I will head to Home Depot and get my drill. I'd rather hold the drill and read about it at the store. After this weekend the ice should be firm enough. I pass a couple of lakes on my way home after work and it is deffently getting thicker.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
A 6 inch auger with sharp blades even in 20 inch ice is a waste of a drill...and in front range ice really stupid to bother with a drill with a 6 inch auger and I'm old!...10 year old kids can drill holes all day long with a 6 inch auger...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Lol, I'm OLD. My youngest is 12 the oldest is in Iraq. She's an MP. I'll send the teenagers to drill ahead. I have a hand 4" 8"&12" for the gas auger. The auger is old15+ Years old if my memory serves me correct. I can't believe how expensive thos things are new. I figured the drill option would be the cheaper way to go and I could stack functions I.e.- drilling anchors and holes. Btw I made my anchors for under a dollar per anchor. If anyone is interested hit me up I'll be glad to explain how. Made them 7 years ago and they are still in excellent shape

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
A 6 inch auger with sharp blades even in 20 inch ice is a waste of a drill...and in front range ice really stupid to bother with a drill with a 6 inch auger and I'm old!...10 year old kids can drill holes all day long with a 6 inch auger...
If you move as much as I do, there drill is a lifesaver. I have used and used mine. I am super excited to fish a couple places this year... should only be a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
The clam is legit. Hell with hand drilling a 6". I use the last model rigid with just two 2.0 batteries. I get around 15-20 holes per battery in 8-12" of ice.
Lot of people use it with a 8 on ice shanty but use a brushless Milwaukee with two 4.0 batteries

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't own a snow mobile so I figure the snow shoeing is plenty of execise:cool:

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Z and I are on the same page. Ive drilled 50-75 holes a day at Atown with the 6" hand auger and it's freekin easy! A drill on a 6" is way overkill.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts