Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a fairly stationary Ice fisherman....less than 10 holes a trip...I plan on fishing Evergreen as well as some of the other local smaller lakes....

I was wondering if anyone here has any expertise with 18v drill powered (Nils and others) augers?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I have a bosch 18 volt drill with a plastic auger, I believe it is made by Vexilar, it drills super fast and light but when the ice gets thick and you need to drill many holes it goes through the batteries pretty fast. They actually made it for guys with ice houses that didn't want fumes opening up their holes. A very impressive toy but I only use it early season when I'm walking out. If you try to drill too many holes it will eventually burn up the drill.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I purchased the Nils 6" last season and paired it with a Ridgid 18V drill. I could not be happier for my usage. I drill 12-15 holes per trip on average, 6-12" of ice being normal. I have done so without even drawing down one of the two batteries that I carry with me. Smooth, quiet, no smell, no mess, no mix.... I have been happy with Ridgid drill from Home Depot to date-lifetime warranty (including batteries) was included. Have not had to use it of course so cannot comment on that aspect of drill. Plenty of torque on low range with the 6" orange Nils. My gas auger will be up for sale for sure this season.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have had a nils 6" for a few years now and it is great. Used it as just a hand auger for the first year, which was awesome (we ditched the gas auger that winter). The drill really pokes holes in the ice. Just be sure you have a drill that can do the job, and be careful with the blades on a nills. Once they are damaged you pretty much need a new bit. Have yet to sharpen mine and is is 3 years old. Can do 20+" of ice in about 45 seconds and usually get 15-20 holes per battery.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have had a nils 6" for a few years now and it is great. Used it as just a hand auger for the first year, which was awesome (we ditched the gas auger that winter). The drill really pokes holes in the ice. Just be sure you have a drill that can do the job, and be careful with the blades on a nills. Once they are damaged you pretty much need a new bit. Have yet to sharpen mine and is is 3 years old. Can do 20+" of ice in about 45 seconds and usually get 15-20 holes per battery.

What kind of drill are you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts