Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested I put my hand drill on my hand auger. Has any one done this? I have a 12 volt and 18 volt battery drill would one of these be good enough? How much modification to the auger do I need to do?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
On Ebay there are several guys who sell adapters for this, reports vary on how many holes a person can drill before it goes dead. But consistently they say it works best with a 4" auger. Otherwise it seems to take alot of torque that isn't present with an 18 volt hand drill.

Dan

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if you got a mora you could take it apart and make a small adaptor to reduce the size to fit your drill i have a 2 speed 14.4v and would probly do the six inch mora ok but i dont know how bad the torque transfer to the hand would be as the drill handle is a lot closer to the center line than the crank on the mora

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i know that when you get some slush on top and it keeps freezing, that stuff sometimes is hard to get through even with a power auger, i'm sure it would kill a drill big time..

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i know that when you get some slush on top and it keeps freezing, that stuff sometimes is hard to get through even with a power auger, i'm sure it would kill a drill big time..
i think it in the blades when there sharp man they all cut fast just them power augers spin quicker i think if you can hold it the drill would work good just keep them blades sharp

·
Registered
374 Posts
no way in hell is my opinion on that.if youve ever drilled a hole with a hand auger,doesnt matter what size,you wouldnt bother.the battery would wear out on one hole and would probably take you like five minutes.just my opinion though.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well just for s1ts and gigles ill give it a whorl and ill video it and post it with that vid site that was posted by mattsabasser i think if it works it will be cool or i might make quite a show

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
allright hury up ice

·
Registered
943 Posts
i have one i bought on ebay it works fien on ice under a foot, i took it up to wholford last year and got through one hole and my drill died btw i have a 18 volt drill and 6"auger

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
im betting the frigin cold dont help the batteries much i might have to toss my drill in the frezzer for a day and then see how well it drills

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would say about as well as i drill in the cold. ssslllooowww ;D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i use my 18v drill to drill my shelter anchors in the ice when it's is windy and my drill pretty much sucks when it gets cold. i usually end up taking them back out by hand. i don't know how you would drill a hole through any kindof sizeable ice. i think i have seen some battery powered augers that will drill holes with your vexilar batteries...

·
Registered
935 Posts
I used a 14.4 V Porter-Cable Drill Driver with an attachment called an Ice Kicker, sold directly or on Ebay by a guy named Rod Chilcott. Well made from steel. I use it with a 6" mora, and with two charged batteries was able to drill 10 or 12 holes on several occassions through 24" of ice. On 12" of ice, it flies through. It's amazing how fast it cuts with fresh blades and fresh battery. I ran into someone else who had problems trying to work with a drill with too little torque. Mine works well with 300 in/lbs of torque, but if you have less than that, I suspect it would be a problem. I would recommend an 18 or 19.2 V drill/driver and make sure torque 300 or over.

If you don't already have a good drill/driver, you may want to consider just getting an inexpensive gas auguer, but my drill/driver setup cuts holes much faster than the cheap gas augers, and with much less noise and weight. I love it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
jamiehughes said:
I cut hundreds of holes last winter with my 14.4 porter-cable, used it on lots of summer projects, and it's still going strong.  I wouldn't redrill a whole with any auger, though.

If you doubt the capabilities of a drill/driver after my testimonial, the maker of the ice kicker attachment has videos on his website that show how well it works.

http://users.adelphia.net/~rodchilcott/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts