Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Folks drive ATV's and snowmobiles on Blue Mesa every winter but in the 13 years I've lived here and fished it I have never seen a car or truck on the ice. Don't know if it is legal or not.....just know I've never seen anything larger than an ATV/Snowmobile driven on it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Folks drive ATV's and snowmobiles on Blue Mesa every winter but in the 13 years I've lived here and fished it I have never seen a car or truck on the ice. Don't know if it is legal or not.....just know I've never seen anything larger than an ATV/Snowmobile driven on it.
Thanks for clarifying, I once saw a suburban on the ice. That's the only thing making me believe you can. I could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
no vechicles on blue Mesa unless you would like a nice federal date in court, snowmobiles atv good to go no trucks. every winter some bozos does it , NPS Rangers sure to catch you.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I've read if you do drive on the ice you should move your vehicle every 2 hours so the heat doesn't create weak spots in the ice.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've read if you do drive on the ice you should move your vehicle every 2 hours so the heat doesn't create weak spots in the ice.
That statement might be a good safety tip for early or thin ice, but I don't think that it's very accurate In the Midwest and up North fisherman leave 25 foot sleeper trailers pulled by big trucks/tractors on the ice all winter. Owners move them occasionally, but in many instances shacks are left in the same spot all season, or at least for weeks and months at a time. As the ice begins to deteriorate and the sun shine increases owners move their shacks more often because the glare from the ice shack will accelerate the melting of the ice.

The sleeper shacks are heated 24/7 and sit right down on the ice. I don't know how much influence a vehicle would have sitting 8-12 inches above the ice.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Too much risk IMO

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As far as I know only Twin Lakes allows vehicles on the ice unless you have a disability then you can get a permit to drive atv's and/or snowmobiles.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I think that advice was for cars and trucks on ice that is less than a few feet thick!

We don't have places like Gull Lake out here

·
Registered
802 Posts
As far as I know only Twin Lakes allows vehicles on the ice unless you have a disability then you can get a permit to drive atv's and/or snowmobiles.
I've driven my truck on Twin Lakes, Green Mountain and Wolford. Don't know if they still allow them still, only take the 4 wheeler ice fishing anymore where they are allowed.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've driven my truck on Twin Lakes, Green Mountain and Wolford. Don't know if they still allow them still, only take the 4 wheeler ice fishing anymore where they are allowed.
Do you have to have a special permit for the 3 lakes mentioned? 8)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts