Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my brother and I's first year ice fishing in Colorado. Is it safe to drive on the ice here? I've heard about spring fed lakes that have patchy ice, but do any you folks take your vehicles on the ice?

On Lake Winneabago in WI they have actual highways that people use to travel across the lake. No joke, the roads are marked with old x-mas trees and have normal stop signs. It's also not uncommon for semi's to bypass the longer, normal road route and travel the shorter path across the lake.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have never been on that lake, but I am from MN originally and know what you are talking about. Most lakes in CO either don't allow it or are unsafe. Most mtn. lakes would be fine to drive on if they let you (although a LOT of people here would say don't do it). I have driven on Wolford up near Kremmling but that is the only CO lake I have driven on. Most guys that need to travel a distance on the ice here use snowmobiles or ATV's.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It's my understanding NO vechicles are allowed on any of the state parks, which includes Boyd. The only 2 that I know of to take a car on is Lake John & Wolford. Snow mobiles @ Granby and Williams Fork. I'm sure i'm missing some.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've seen a guy driving on taylor reservoir.
A lot of the problems with driving on colorado places are that you can't get the care down to them because many of the banks are very steep because most of our fisheries are reservoirs, or that in the high mountain lakes there is too much snow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts