Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I just stepped into the world of the Droid yesterday :) Got the Droid 2 by Motorola. :) I hadn't ever used a droid or similar device so this is going to be a learning experience for me LOL

Anyway....... Was wondering what some of the "must have" apps are??

Any tips tricks on features or anything would be cool.

Even just opinions about the product or whatever.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
"Where's my phone" or "Where's my droid" is a good one. Makes your phone make noises if you lost it and its on silent.

Google sky map is cool too. Facebook app. NFL mobile. Pandora. Droidlight. Maybe a few others. Some of the soundboards are cool too.

Handcent SMS is a must have.

TiKL touch to talk is cool too. TiKL is a Walkie talkie.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
My "new" phone is already acting up after less than 3 months and I'm thinking about making the move to a Droid, also. I've never had a "smart" phone, so any and all tips would be appreciated.

I like Verizon's service (apostrophe just for sswan), so a Droid or Blackberry of some sort are my only optons if I want to stay with Verizon, right?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
160 Posts
One app that I would recommend would be 'Advanced Task Killer'. This app will kill apps every so often, so it doesn't kill your battery. One major downside to the Droid phones is battery life. If you run a lot of apps, it kills your battery pretty fast. Also, the flashlight app works pretty well. I never thought I would use it, but I actually use it quite a bit. Works great for wondering around the house in the early morning without having to turn on a light, or run into something and stub your toe...so the wife doesn't get mad!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
ItFliesItDies said:
One app that I would recommend would be 'Advanced Task Killer'. This app will kill apps every so often, so it doesn't kill your battery. One major downside to the Droid phones is battery life. If you run a lot of apps, it kills your battery pretty fast. Also, the flashlight app works pretty well. I never thought I would use it, but I actually use it quite a bit. Works great for wondering around the house in the early morning without having to turn on a light, or run into something and stub your toe...so the wife doesn't get mad!
x2 on all that right there.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
"Where's my phone" or "Where's my droid" is a good one. Makes your phone make noises if you lost it and its on silent.

Google sky map is cool too. Facebook app. NFL mobile. Pandora. Droidlight. Maybe a few others. Some of the soundboards are cool too.

Handcent SMS is a must have.

TiKL touch to talk is cool too. TiKL is a Walkie talkie.
Lookout does what "whers my phone" does, and it's a featured app. It also has antivirus and a backup option. Advanced Task Killer is a must. If you like IM, meebo im is the best. All I use are free apps...

Rob

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Task killer for sure. Droid battery life = ghey....

Banking apps are helpful.

Downside to Droid apps, there are a bunch that come pre-loaded (bloatware) that I haven't figured out how to delete yet. I don't like that part of it.

Just go to the "Market" tons of apps in there...I only get the free ones, cuz I'm cheap.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Task killer for sure. Droid battery life = ghey....

Banking apps are helpful.

Downside to Droid apps, there are a bunch that come pre-loaded (bloatware) that I haven't figured out how to delete yet. I don't like that part of it.

Just go to the "Market" tons of apps in there...I only get the free ones, cuz I'm cheap.
That task killer helps your battery life big time!! Also if you install the power meter thing, where you can turn off your gmail/internet refresh, gps wifi locator and bluetooth from the desktop, it helps a lot.

I'd stay away from mobile banking apps. Heard of a lot of them being not very secure, so no thank you.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
You should have the operating system version 2.2, which is a recent rollout. If you do, you may not have to download a flashlight app, it may be built in. I know it is on the HTC phones.

Must have apps for me:
- barcode scanner
- Handcent sms for texting. I've had issues with this app sending text messages to multiple recipients though.
- Ultra Keyboard. It's a pay app, but worth every penny. The motorolas may come with swype, but if yours doesn't, get ultra keyboard. If it does, just use swype. It's the best swyping app on the market, but they don't let most people use it.
- google sky map is way cool.
- Shazam. You can have it listen to a song and it'll tell you the artist, song title, album, etc.
- I have a few games, but those are mostly time killers.

ItFliesItDies said:
Disagree, big time. ATK also kills resident apps that are necessary to run your phone. It'll also kill your alarm clock app. I used to run ATK, but had WAY WAY WAY too many problems with it. After doing some research online, I figured out that others have a ton of issues as well.

Battery life SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS on the droids. It's my biggest complaint, almost to the point where I wanna punt it altogether. But I'll eventually get an extended life battery and call it a day. For some reason, I get less battery life than most people. The thing that really pisses me off is that these phones are supposed to do a bunch of whiz-bang stuff, but you can't use it all. Having the GPS turned on all the time will kill your battery in 4-6 hours. That's just stupid.

If you want to conserve battery life, a better way to go would be to use Motorola's built in battery configuration stuff. There's a "smart battery" setting I think, where the phone will turn off your gps and wifi during non-peak use hours, and knock down your email, facebook, etc refresh rates to 3 hours instead of 1 hour. Doing all this stuff manually will help save battery too, but you can only do so much. If you get a full day out of your phone, be happy, and know you'll have to charge it every night.

Eli

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet! Thanks for the info guys.. i will look into those apps listed and decide which ones i want/need :)

I have figured out how to connect my Droid to my Wi-Fi and it runs soooo much faster than the 3G

·
Registered
418 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
My "new" phone is already acting up after less than 3 months and I'm thinking about making the move to a Droid, also. I've never had a "smart" phone, so any and all tips would be appreciated.

I like Verizon's service (apostrophe just for sswan), so a Droid or Blackberry of some sort are my only optons if I want to stay with Verizon, right?

Thanks in advance!

Wait till March.

Verizon and AT&T will be launching 4g networks next month. They expect to have 80% of people on 4g by March and will have full 4g handset line ups at that point....

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
DozerF350 said:
Disagree, big time. ATK also kills resident apps that are necessary to run your phone. It'll also kill your alarm clock app. Having the GPS turned on all the time will kill your battery in 4-6 hours. That's just stupid.
you just need to spend some time on it to figure out how to use it, you can individually select certain apps to keep on running..like say maps,golf apps,alarm clock..stuff that you dont want to turn off when the phone turns off...trust me it works, i have had my droid for a year now and still love it...and the gps does kill the battery but hence what the app killer works well for...all smartphones are hard on battery life, just get used to it...for as much stuff as they do it is well worth the extra times spent "refreshing" the battery...

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
jamiehughes said:
DozerF350 said:
Disagree, big time. ATK also kills resident apps that are necessary to run your phone. It'll also kill your alarm clock app. Having the GPS turned on all the time will kill your battery in 4-6 hours. That's just stupid.
you just need to spend some time on it to figure out how to use it
x2

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
jamiehughes said:
DozerF350 said:
you just need to spend some time on it to figure out how to use it
x2
I spent a lot of time with it, and did a lot of research. If it's working for you, awesome. For me, it made my phone unstable and kept killing background applications it shouldn't have been touching, regardless of the settings I was using. Maybe it's an HTC thing or something, but ATK is bad juju for my phone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts