Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in the paper today that a man from Colorado Springs drowned and another man was airlifted to a hospital after their canoe capsized. This is just a reminder that the water temp on the high mountain lakes is still very cold and it doesn't take but a few minutes for a person to drown.
For those of you who fish from canoes and boats with low sides ie. Jon style boats, when the wind comes up get off the lake. The waves created by the wind can swamp your boat and put you in a dangerous situation. As some of you may remember, I fisherman drowned at Spinney a couple years ago when this happened. Fortunately the other people in the boat were rescued.

Take care have fun fishing but be safe!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
...and dont forget to ear your PFDs...especially in cold water. its no joke to go in the drink when the water is cold. i dont know the details, but im sure a PROPERLY WORN PFD could have maybe saved this guys life. what a shame.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Good Advice!

A tip for those who fish canoes solo:

Weight the front of the canoe with something...anchor + some more weight to simulate a 2nd person in the front...It keeps the bow down, stabilizes the canoe, and keeps the wind from pushing you around as much.

If you ever do get caught in a freak wind storm and you're in the canoe alone...move to the front and point the bow into the wind and just ride the storm out or paddle from the front into the wind until you reach the shore.

If you stay in the front the wind will blow the light end of the canoe to the rear and keep you pointed in the right direction....trying to stay in the back and point into the wind will get you turned around and capsized.

I literally grew up fishing and duck hunting from a canoe for 15+ years in MN. The best thing I ever did was to "play" in the canoe as a kid and purposely try to tip it (and succeed) so that I knew what it took to tip it...I also learned to swim underneath it with it tipped and how to right it in the water...valuable lessons.

When the water gets warmer take your canoes to a beach and tip them over!

People used to think that I was nuts standing up and fishing in a canoe but it's a great, stable platform if you understand it's physics and limits.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
If you ever do get caught in a freak wind storm and you're in the canoe alone...move to the front and point the bow into the wind and just ride the storm out or paddle from the front into the wind until you reach the shore.
moving from one end to the other in dicey conditions could spell disaster. if its that bad stay where you are but paddle the other way.

more important is to lnow your limits and watch the weather the best way to survive is to avoid the danger

to many people buy a boat (any boat) and have no idea what they are doing they just put it in and go, then when the **** hits the fan they have a distinct disadvantage

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Getting the canoe in proper trim is good advice.
I carry some empty water containers to trim my canoe. I fill them at the shore when I launch. Ballast should be able to float free if the canoe rolled over. I have used rocks, they work, but will take the canoe under if you tip.
Best advice is to wear the PFD and keep the boat trimed.
I like my canoe better on large lakes then my old 12 foot 5.5 hp boat. The double end works better in following waves and going into the wind.

B

·
0 Posts
For those who may be interested I'll see if I can find the web address for a company I ordered stabilizer floats / outriggers from. They are great for those who fish solo in a canoe.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have been lucky in only tipping our canoe's once in the past six years.
Was a dock side splinter in the fingers event.
I have looked at the float thing and have wondered if they allow any efficient paddling upwind?
They seem like a solution to a bad designed canoe. AKA Coleman canoe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts