Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, so I'm going to try to smoke a rack of ribs this weekend.....what do you use for a dry rub? I did a search and could not find the old BBQ threads easily.

·
Registered
756 Posts
brown sugar
cayenne pepper or ground chipotle peppers
dried mustard
celery salt
garlic powder

I can't really tell you the measurements of these ingredients....More brown sugar than anything.... I just keep adding stuff, taste it, add more of this or that.... Celery salt is key.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
So many options...just depends on what style/flavor you're going for.

Start simple.

Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika

Adjust from there, depending on taste. Good luck! BBQ is all about time and experimentation. Figure out what works best for you, then perfect it with little tweaks here and there.

W

·
0 Posts
I love me some dry rub, and they all call for a crapload of salt. The next time I use a dry rub I am going to halve the salt content, it blows me away in the end. :(

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Captain America said:
I love me some dry rub, and they all call for a crapload of salt. The next time I use a dry rub I am going to halve the salt content, it blows me away in the end. :(
That's why I like sea salt, a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:

Start simple.

Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika

Adjust from there, depending on taste. Good luck! BBQ is all about time and experimentation. Figure out what works best for you, then perfect it with little tweaks here and there.
This plus brown sugar and Cayanne

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:

Start simple.

Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika

I did exactly this for my first set of ribs, and added just a little bit of cinnamon. It was delish!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I like to add a little dry mustard to the rub. I use quite a bit of "the lucky spice of the day"!(Paprika. remember Bachelor Party?) Ditto on the sea salt. Don't use table salt. Don't forget to mop the meat during the process. I like to take my dry rub mixture mix with some beer, warm it up and then mop it every 30 min or so during the 2nd half of the cooking! Also with pork, get a spray bottle, fill it with apple juice and spray it occasionally! Have fun and enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Oyey said:
J.R.R. Trollin'Ken said:

Start simple.

Sea Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika

This plus brown sugar and Cayanne
Like I was saying, start simple, then experiment. I use cumin, mustard, cayenne, corriander, ginger, nutmeg, all kinds of stuff...

;)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The best pre-made rub I have ever tried on BBQ I have only been able to find in Texas. Called "Texas Sweet Rub". Very tasty. I think you can order it online but have never tried. My cousin used to buy it down in Texas and bring it back with him.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
2 parts to 1 part, sugar to salt mixture is a good base to start; I virtually always use light brown or turbinado sugar and kosher salt. Table salt fits more salt in a smaller volume so use less. Your spice mix is another 1 part, usually mostly garlic powder, pepper, and assorted chili peppers. I also like toasted cumin in mine for beef, and onion powder on any poultry. Adding about a 1/2 part cornstarch makes it get a really good crust as well, if that's what you're going for. Podwered sassafras (like used in gumbo) is another interesting addition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts