Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been tying flies for about 20 years, so it is be weird that Simi Seal Leeches are now something I am stoked on. For whatever reason, I never tried to tie any of these until 2 weeks ago. My buddy and I even made a tutorial we since have dorked out that much.

http://duranglers.com/simi-seal-leech/

I think the obsession may be due to the fact that I have never tied with AZ Simi Seal dubbing until I picked up a few packages. Stuff rules. That being said, what dubbing are you all dorking out on these days. Do any of you blend your own dub?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have been tying flies for about 20 years, so it is be weird that Simi Seal Leeches are now something I am stoked on. For whatever reason, I never tried to tie any of these until 2 weeks ago. My buddy and I even made a tutorial we since have dorked out that much.

http://duranglers.com/simi-seal-leech/

I think the obsession may be due to the fact that I have never tied with AZ Simi Seal dubbing until I picked up a few packages. Stuff rules. That being said, what dubbing are you all dorking out on these days. Do any of you blend your own dub?
If you like simi seal, then you check out some of the other custom blends from Cheech and Curtis: http://www.flyfishfood.com/

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Anything I can get my fingers on that spins on the thread works for me...By the time the fish notice, it's too late for them, or I'm sleeping on the job.

·
Registered
484 Posts
An up and coming material (or many materials for that matter) are those with UV ingredents. On one of my favorite flyfishing web sites there has been an ongoing discussion on the "benefits" of using UV dubbing materials.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An up and coming material (or many materials for that matter) are those with UV ingredents. On one of my favorite flyfishing web sites there has been an ongoing discussion on the "benefits" of using UV dubbing materials.
Well why don't we open a can of worms...

Do you all think there is a benefit to using UV materials in dubbing? Do you think there is a benefit to trying to get some kind of UV material in your flies at all?

I like to try and get some natural materials in with synthetic as I do believe natural hair, fur, or feather does look differently under the UV spectrum.

·
Registered
883 Posts
????? UV stuff has been around forever. I also think it can make a difference.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have no expeirience yet with the UV dubbing, but I do intend to test it this summer! I have been tying quite a few streamers with it this winter. The streamer i posted on the PikeyMclaketrout thread also has a bunch of pearl uv icedub in it. A couple of weeks ago I was brushing out the dog and had a pile of grey medium lenght underfur from the black shepard mutt. I threw a fistfull ina baggie and with a trip up to southpark still waters the next day I spun up a half dozen of these. I used UV ice dub in pearl, purple and some peacock. Cuz slimers love the cock......

I tied this similiar to how exploded did the tail in the simi seal leech. Pull and stack to mix up the dubbing. Get a a loose clump and pinch it around the hookshank. I try and get it to almost spin on the hook so it is totally wrapped around it. Then I brush all the fibers back and secure. Reapeat 3-4 times working your way to the head. Go light on the dubbing. It is easy to over dress the fly like this.

PS I am taking orders for dog fur.. 5$ a baggie. haha

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have used UV dubbing a ton in my tying... it is likely my favorite... the UV Ice Calibeatis color is redic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Simi Seal is GREAT!! Ive been tying and fishing simi seal/mohair leeches for about 15 years. Its a great night time fly fishing the tailwaters of the White River System. I have found that it works much better if you spin the material in a dubbing loop rather than loose dub it on the thread. It also makes the fly more durable. Also try tying them with a marabou tail! Tight lines

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have yet to pick up any simi seal, but its definatley on my list. I personally have been tying with ice dub and laser dub the most, and I love them to death! I also have been tying alot of my nymphs with a blend of ice dub and regular dubbing. I also have been messing around with putting marabou in dubbing loops, and if you want a buggy looking fly, give it a shot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One bit of info about water depth and color which was mention in a link. It is true the deeper the water the more color diminishes. BUT having scuba dived for many years to have any real impact on fishing you would have to be fishing below 30 ft of water to have a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One bit of info about water depth and color which was mention in a link. It is true the deeper the water the more color diminishes. BUT having scuba dived for many years to have any real impact on fishing you would have to be fishing below 30 ft of water to have a noticeable difference.
Nice!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is correct but water clarity plays a large role in what you mentioned. In perfect ideal conditions, what you say is true tho.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts