Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably stupid but I couldn't find the answer online. Are state parks open 24 hours? If there is no gate and I pay can I fish all night? To the point can I night fish at boyd?

·
Registered
664 Posts
In my experience there are usually open hours posted on the gate or at least 'quiet hours' if it's a 24 hour place.

Hope this helps.

M

·
0 Posts
When you go to the web site, select the park you are looking for and then click on the conditions report link on the left. When you scroll down the conditions report there should be a "park hours" box.

I've seen them lock people out at Spinney but every other park I've been to seems to be open 24 hours (despite what it says on the site). I've never gotten kicked out of Cherry Creek or Chatfield or North Sterling and I've fished from boat at Jackson until 3:00am a couple of times. I think I have seen them close the entrance gates, but not the exit gates.

My thoughts are that even though they have hours, they have to provide 24 hour access as long as people are present and especially if camping is allowed. My reasoning is it would be illegal for them to lock out emergency service providers like police or fire in case there is an emergency (maybe this is why I've seen the entrance gates closed but the exit gates open ???). I don't think it was a dumb question at all!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hatch,
Most parks do have stated hours but I wouldn't worry about them. I have night fished in many parks that supposedly close at 10pm and have never had a problem. I have been in Chatfield and Cherry Creek at 2 in the morning catfishing. They don't know if you are camping there or not. I think they post the hours so they can use them as a trump card if they need to. For instance, kicking out teenagers at 1 in the morning.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured most would let you fish 24/7. I ice fished boyd at night this year but didn't know if it was ok or I just didn't get caught. I think I'm gonna chase the catfish at boyd some night this week.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have fished Boyd at night many times. It has not produced numbers for me, but it has been peaceful and scerene. I recommend it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
basically, if you are in the act of actively fishing you can stay as long as you like, at most parks.

M

·
0 Posts
RAVEN_67 said:
basically, if you are in the act of actively fishing you can stay as long as you like, at most parks.
I did hear of someone at Elevenmile that drove from Denver one summer, cast out from the shore, then fell asleep in a lawn chair about 3:00am. A ranger came over and kicked the guys chair to wake him up, then gave him a hard time for "camping" outside of a campground.

I think the keyword here is "actively" fishing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
RAVEN_67 said:
I did hear of someone at Elevenmile that drove from Denver one summer, cast out from the shore, then fell asleep in a lawn chair about 3:00am.  A ranger came over and kicked the guys chair to wake him up, then gave him a hard time for "camping" outside of a campground.

I think the keyword here is "actively" fishing.
you are correct sir!!! ac-tive (ak'tiv) adj. 1. acting; working 2. causing motion or change

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
You can fish Boyd at night, as long as you are really fishing and behaving yourself. :) However -- they close and lock the big iron gate that leads to the swimming beach area, at about 8 p.m. I believe. So don't park in that particular area, or they will lock you in.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Think about it guys...any of them that have a campground...how could you lock them up...if someone had a medical emergency and couldnt get out...now like specific areas like W.E. says the swim beach are different matters...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts