Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding ;D actually fished the Colorado today and pounded the browns and one big bow using the godfather to Dynamic's HD Rapala's. Once again I went down in the same spot but fortunatley my right knee absorbed most of the shock verse my left. Today I meet the fishful thinker guy filming a oct brown special up on the colorado really a nice guy. However after bumping into him in the morning and then crossing paths again mid afternoon I thought for sure we would of been asked to get some camera time. Come on man once we seen you guys again we combed our hair spit out our chew and had a brief talk to watch our language nad nothing ;D oh well I guess there's no shining up ugly

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey Trout, nice to meet you guys today. What a great day to be on the river, eh?! We did see you get a couple of fish and we had a good day too. Lots of average fish and a couple of really nice ones. I did the bulk of of my damage on a #13 Rapala and mopped up with the 4" fluke on the 3/8oz jighead you saw me tossing. Camera dude Tim got several on the way back down on a #10 Xrap including a our only rainbow - a super fat, egg burping slob about 18" long. Glad ya'll had success on a great fall day.

Most guys we run into filming along the various rivers tell us to go away or worse; thanks for sharing the water with us. I'll let you know if you end up in the b-roll or bumper spots with that nice brown got just upstream from us. Who needs nice hair and a chewless smile when you're getting bit...! CL

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fishful Thinker said:
Hey Trout, nice to meet you guys today. What a great day to be on the river, eh?! We did see you get a couple of fish and we had a good day too. Lots of average fish and a couple of really nice ones. I did the bulk of of my damage on a #13 Rapala and mopped up with the 4" fluke on the 3/8oz jighead you saw me tossing. Camera dude Tim got several on the way back down on a #10 Xrap including a our only rainbow - a super fat, egg burping slob about 18" long. Glad ya'll had success on a great fall day.

Most guys we run into filming along the various rivers tell us to go away or worse; thanks for sharing the water with us. I'll let you know if you end up in the b-roll or bumper spots with that nice brown got just upstream from us. Who needs nice hair and a chewless smile when you're getting bit...! CL
Good to meet you guys yesterday . The fishing picked up quit a bit as we worked our way back down I guess they just needed to warm up a little.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
just a friendly reminder. it is possible to catch trout without subjecting them to treble hooks... in a situation where you intend to release the trout you catch, please consider single barbless hooks. retrofitting hardbaits with singles is easy and I would say more effective. (really!)

I have always wondered why the marabou jig was not more widely in favor with spinfishing trout anglers. If there is a better trout lure I for one have not found it.

cheers.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
swimbait said:
just a friendly reminder. it is possible to catch trout without subjecting them to treble hooks... in a situation where you intend to release the trout you catch, please consider single barbless hooks. retrofitting hardbaits with singles is easy and I would say more effective. (really!)

I have always wondered why the marabou jig was not more widely in favor with spinfishing trout anglers. If there is a better trout lure I for one have not found it.

cheers.
Try an HD trout.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jig won't even come close to a plug in a river for trout. Jigs work well but for numbers and size of fish I haven't found anything that compares as far as spin fishing. Crazy thing is rapalas have been around for along time and now the big thing is using dynbamic plugs in rivers. Maybe their easier to use or have better action or the internet has made everyone aware of the effectivness of plugs in rivers and dynamic is taking the credit ;D. I have noticed over the years the few guys I have bumped into on the rivers and most of them are using the wrong rapalas and dynamic only offers the one style for river fishing and its the correct one to use sinking.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
swimbait said:

cheers.
While single barbless hooks make hook removal much easier, with all due respect I respectfully disagree here. Just about all studies have shown that there is no statistically significant difference in post release mortality of trout when using barbed hooks versus barbless hooks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have caught trout in very shallow river stretches with floating rapalas, jointed raps, and also husky jerks. Nothing compares to a sinking model though. Cranks and spinners catch a lot of big trout, probably bigger on average than the ones I catch on jigs like curly tails. The biggest trout on average that I catch usually come on either the HD trout or a drifted crawler.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
[/quote]
FLYFISHGEEK said:
Possibly, the GREATEST report title EVER O0 that disco guy is gonna be pissed ;D ;D ;D
Great job! I love it!

Disco? Guess you cant read so good. Let me guess, Grand Junction graduate? Lol.

Pissed? Not hardly. Oh by the way, have you sent me my free sample? I figured as much.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Trout said:
Jig won't even come close to a plug in a river for trout. Jigs work well but for numbers and size of fish I haven't found anything that compares as far as spin fishing. Crazy thing is rapalas have been around for along time and now the big thing is using dynbamic plugs in rivers. Maybe their easier to use or have better action or the internet has made everyone aware of the effectivness of plugs in rivers and dynamic is taking the credit ;D. I have noticed over the years the few guys I have bumped into on the rivers and most of them are using the wrong rapalas and dynamic only offers the one style for river fishing and its the correct one to use sinking.
I never saw anything saying dynamic lures were responsible for catching trout on cranks in rivers?? The hd wasn't even designed for moving water, it was intended for still water where it has a better wobble, rattles and is a bit heavier so it casts farther.

As for jigs, I have used marabou jigs in rivers and done ok, but not as well as jerk baits and cranks of ANY BRAND.

·
Registered
526 Posts
IMO, jigs are great in rivers because they can work the entire water column instantly. If fish are in tight strike zones (browns tight on steep banks, 'bows in small pockets, super deep plunge pools, or bluff banks for instance) you can get it down and erratic and generate very quick bites - especially if you're an accurate caster with line control skills. I prefer a much more hydrodynamic shape than marabou - a straight minnow shape 2.5 - 6 inches is my goto - and a heavier than average head (usually 1/8 - 3/8oz) in most cases.

Having said all that, day in and day out in most conditions, the jerkbait (or minnow bait or plug or whatever you call it) is, again IMO, the most efficient way to catch both numbers and size. From tiny ones for brookies, to 2.5-3inchers for average trout, to my standard #13 floating Rapala - they all work for me wherever we go, no matter how many bugs they're eating or whatever. A properly presented jerkbait will get a ton of bites in most cases. I often clean up behind the jerkbait with a jig, or keep it handy for spots as mentioned above.

One last thing (sorry for the long post!); I too read a study about trebles and trout that found no correlation to increased delayed mortality, plus the heavier tackle allows me to land them quickly and release them less fatigued than if they were played on light tippets or ultralight gear. For me the fun is generating the strike anyway!CL

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FG come on man you have to know I was just gassing the fire. Heck if HD are getting the credit then why not hope you guys sell a bunch. I think its great a local company could break into the tackle industry.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Trout said:
FG come on man you have to know I was just gassing the fire. Heck if HD are getting the credit then why not hope you guys sell a bunch. I think its great a local company could break into the tackle industry.
I know you weren't hating on us ;D And we do have 2 more BIGGER sizes coming, 3.5" and 4.75" gonna call the HD TROUT XL and the HD TROUT XXXL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts