Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably going to fish the eagle saturday - say avon area east or west give or take the necessary miles. i have never fished this river. any tips on public access points would be appreciated. direction would be good too. i realize from the map i have on the eagle/gore creek the general access points, but was hoping to get some info first handed.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
tomcat,

As far as access, it's easiest to just drive along old US6, which follows the river, but is sort of a frontage road for I-70 now. You can take either the Minturn or Avon exits to get to US6. Private land is pretty well posted and you'll see that there're lots of public access points.

The Eagle has good trout/mile ratios all the way from the mouth of Gore Creek to the confluence with the Colo. Looks like an overcast weekend, so you should see some BWO adults coming off from noon until mid-afternoon. Carry whatever patterns you like for the BWO adult. Nymphing with small p-tails, RS2's, Wd40'Ss, etc. should be good, or you can always drop those off of the ever-popular Copper John. I doubt you'll find that the trout are very spread out for most of the day, so concentrate on the obvious deeper runs and pools.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks very much. that is what i thought i would do but was not sure.
tomcat

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I fish down below Eagle qite a bit. Have you guys noticed that there seems to be alot more Whitefish in the deeper runs now?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've heard people say that they think they see more whitefish in the lower reaches now. But I think there are more fish per mile in general, trout included, with improved water quality (re: mining above Minturn, etc.) so maybe that's part of it, too. I also wonder if more whitefish are being caught because more fishermen spend more time nymphing now.

I'd be curious to see what the DOW says about whitefish populations growing or shrinking in the Eagle, Roaring Fork and Colorado in general.

·
Banned
487 Posts
My observations of whitefish in the Colorado and Roaring Fork rivers have been holding steady the last few years but now are increasing as are roundtail chubs. Water is warmer because flows are much lower.
As for fishing the eagle this time of year, it is already blown out a bit. If you fish flies go with larger, darker nymphs or streamrers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts