Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harvey Gap has finally frozen over for the most part. Was up there this past Sunday ice fishing and was on 4" to 5" most of the day...Some spots got a little lower so I stayed away from those. The waterfall area still has open water/little ice!

It was nice to fish for some warmwater species and land into Yellow Perch for a Fish Fry!

We also encountered a really messed up situation, where a guy that was ice fishing; was just catching fish and leaving them on the ice to die...He left for the day and we came across that. It is explained in the video...thoughts?

If you enjoy the video, please Like, Comment, and Subscribe!:thumb:

https://youtu.be/AOtdMrNDM6k

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was out there Sunday as well - No it wasn't me. I'm not for wanton waste. They should have at least taken them and "prepared them for human consumption", but this lake needs that... The perch are stunted and have been for years. He/she is not alone. People do this all the time out there.

Last year CPW relocated 2000 or so to Rifle to help, and there are still countless stunted perch. You can catch hundreds a day almost anywhere on the lake and catch no legitimate keepers. There's no limit for a reason (unlike Rifle).

Hate to see it, but because of the circumstances - which doesn't justify what happened - it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was out there Sunday as well - No it wasn't me. I'm not for wanton waste. They should have at least taken them and "prepared them for human consumption", but this lake needs that... The perch are stunted and have been for years. He/she is not alone. People do this all the time out there.

Last year CPW relocated 2000 or so to Rifle to help, and there are still countless stunted perch. You can catch hundreds a day almost anywhere on the lake and catch no legitimate keepers. There's no limit for a reason (unlike Rifle).

Hate to see it, but because of the circumstances - which doesn't justify what happened - it doesn't bother me.
Good to know! That's why I wondered what people's thoughts were on here about that...thought I was maybe missing something. Still think it's unfortunate but at least that makes me feel better;D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't have much of a problem with it. I've been there multiple times where you have to syphon through 50+ dinks to get a small keeper. The Jumbos in there are few and far between it seems anymore. Plus there's a ton of varmints up that way that will enjoy the buffet.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have much of a problem with it. I've been there multiple times where you have to syphon through 50+ dinks to get a small keeper. The Jumbos in there are few and far between it seems anymore. Plus there's a ton of varmints up that way that will enjoy the buffet.

Ya that's what a lot of people are saying...Seems to be some people don't like it and others don't mind it...I feel better about the situation now that I'm more informed about it. Still was shocking to see. Some people have said CPW has told people to keep them at all costs, I can't find that anywhere...you know if that's true?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

well said. The lake I grew up on in michigan was loaded with hammer handle northerns. The DNR implemented a no size no catch limit for a couple decades and now it produces very healthy fish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone find a jawjacker at Harvey that I left on the ice Thursday? Probably 100' or so off the point at the peninsula parking area? Reward if found. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
We were there Saturday, tons of pike, 9 keeper size perch and one of those things Slayer likes. Back again this Saturday. As bad as it is, it is about the best ice option we have close.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts