Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post McFish talked about how jerks and the jig and pig are his two best early season bass lures-and I agree 100%. Those two baits are really all I go out with here in March. Today I caught about a dozen fish-stacked up like cordwood in two ponds on the windy side of the ponds. The bite in the early AM was uninspired but once the water warmed up a little, it was on and you can fish both of these baits slow enough to get them interested. About the only other thing I ever tie on this early is a senko but its been too windy for that.

Just wondered what other guys are using?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have heard that a curly tail grub can work fished real slow. I plan on trying that out this year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the curly tail grub and jig post.  It has alot of movement on the way down.  The ice on the ponds where I frequently fish vanished and I decided to fish it today.  I caught one 6-7 inch tiny bass on a curly tail grub and jig. 

NOt great but when you expect to be skunked, a small fish is better than no fish....

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Nice post kirbydog ! I'm going out for Bass on Sunday. This gave me hope. I'll let you know if anything works for me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Kirby you can rig a senko with a jerk bait rig (maybe its called a stick bait rig) The senko suspends very nicely and if worked like a jerkbait is deadly early season to.

I like Husky jerks, but bought some of them new X-raps that came out waiting to try them.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Three inch Power Craw with the orage claws fished on a 1/8 oz jig. Plus everything else already mentioned.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have had really good luck this season catching bass and at the same time rainbow trout on a glass minnow husky jerk in all different sizes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts