Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to hit up one of my favorite metro ponds this morning. This place has been a little gem of mine the last couple of years. Its totally loaded with 3+lb bass. I caught my first LM of 2010 there in March. So I'm fishing for about 45 minutes on the north side dam, and this nice old man walks up to me with his dog and says "Well I know you're not catching anything....". I'm thinking he's referring to the cold chill and high winds so I respond "Yeah, its cold. its been slow so far". And he says "No, I know because there aren't any fish in there. They drained it a couple of months ago". My jaw dropped. So I looked it up online.

http://cbs4denver.com/news/reservoir.drained.carp.2.1924764.html

They just let all of the fish die!!!!!!!! They reported that they were all carp.....but there was an awesome bass population in there. You would think that, at the very least, they could have transfered the bass across the street to Main Res. The old man said there were dead bass everywhere.
Insane...... It ruined my day. Great bass spots in this city are few, and they just killed one of them. Surely, this didn't have to happen.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
weak.

"Great bass spots in this city are few, and they just killed one of them. Surely, this didn't have to happen."

They don't care, mate. Water, water, water. That's all, that is it.

Sorry to hear about the spot. That explains my experience there though... only skunk all year.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is a very intersting story, Fredo. The article says that vandals broke the outlet causing the drainage. It is likely that the agencies couldn't formulate a plan of action to save the fish. Kinda wish they would have posted the names of the vandals.

Having said that, the feedback some have posted is correct, this is mainly an irrigation storage and has been seasonal at best during the dry years. It gets drained enough that stocking this small pond is a bit futile in my opinion.

It may help to put a bug in the ear of both the city of Lakewood and the CDOW expressing your love, respect and concern for better management here. Maybe all parties (even vandals) can reach an agreement and a better management plan can be put in place. I fish here too (as well as few other Kipling Corridor Ponds) and welcome more discussion on this. Save our small metro bass ponds!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts