Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a great elk hunt that produced no bulls, I was anxious to get out on the plains and do some deer hunting. The first weekend was warm and dry and we saw a few long distance bucks but did not have any chances to harvest a deer. We decided we would take a few days off and head back out Thursday evening to hunt for a few days to see if we could change our luck. Unfortunately it was still pretty warm and we decided we would deal with the conditions and hunt as hard as we could to find some bucks. After a slow morning Friday, I spotted 5 bucks bedded down on a fence line about a half mile away at 11:00am. I decided I would work my way in their direction and see if I could get close enough to get a shot. Where we hunt there isn't a single tree on the property and I used the rolling terrain the best I could to get close to the deer. When I was about 300 yards away I ran out of cover. The bucks were still bedded down and I decided I would crawl on the ground to see if I could get closer. I did a fairly good job of avoiding most of the cactus, but I did end up hitting a few of them. I got to within 250 yards and decided I would wait the deer out until they stood up. About 10 minutes later 2 of the bucks stood up to stretch and I shot the bigger of the two. I stayed down and watched what was going on. One other deer stood up and the other two stayed bedded down. I backed up and watched. In about 10 minutes the other two bucks bedded back down. We have a plan that when a shot is fired we turn on our radios to see what happened. My buddy who was with me when we first saw the deer asked if I connected. I told him I had and he told me he could see that the other bucks were still there. He came to me and then crawled about 50 yards like I had. About 20 minutes later a buck stood up and he shot it. Both bucks were about 20 yards apart. We field dressed them and started back to our truck which was about 3 miles away. We spent the rest of the day getting deer out of the field. On Saturday morning my son and his girlfriend headed up into the hills. At about 8:00am Tiffany spotted 5 does and a nice buck. She put the legs down on her bipod and made a perfect 225 yard lung shot on the buck. The deer was Tiffany's first big game harvest and she was very happy with her shot and the buck. We had three deer and one more buck tag. We decided that we really didn't need four deer and the plan was to get the big buck to the truck and call it a season. We were to the truck with the deer by 1:00pm and we were happy with the way the season finished up.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
URL=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/79900779.jpg/]

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Well done Ray. Right on for meat in the freezer! Man the weather was hot!!! We were out the 2nd week and it was cooking! Again congrats!

Jim

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nice Truck-O-Death Ray. The one the girl shot is a real dandy. Congrads to all that harvested a buck.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That is great! I almost cant stand looking at those pictures its killing me waiting until sat to get out but at least now I know what to look for ;)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Very nice! I was out hunting JM with no avail..but very impressive.

D.J.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts