Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any 1st hand knowledge on Colorado eastern plains ice conditions? It's been well below freezing for around 7 days, but some of the waters were open before that.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
2nd hand info. just got off the phone with north sterling ranger. 3 days ago they had some open water in the middle and this morning they drilled a couple holes a little ways off the bank and got 6" of ice???? I was thinking of heading that way myself this weekend.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd hand info. just got off the phone with north sterling ranger. 3 days ago they had some open water in the middle and this morning they drilled a couple holes a little ways off the bank and got 6" of ice???? I was thinking of heading that way myself this weekend.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for! I've never ice North Sterling. I hear it's decent for crappie. I might try some other waters.

·
Registered
24 Posts
fishslap

I'm headed east from FC now for some east recon so if you see a tan titan with MT plates lost or in trouble thats me. Help me out.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I'd imagine after the massive fish kill 2 years ago the lake won't be good for a while. Maybe try Prewitt?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
It's an hour and a half from denver. Do it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I just might, Dave. Prolly wont be til a week from Tuesday, so I hope the ice holds up. Going for Lakers this coming Tuesday and I MIGHT have a sitter for next Sunday, so I might head up again with my uncle. I don't think he has ever been ice fishing. :) he wants to catch macks... I told him both GM and Willy's have macks, so he is pumped to go and try.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
I just might, Dave. Prolly wont be til a week from Tuesday, so I hope the ice holds up. Going for Lakers this coming Tuesday and I MIGHT have a sitter for next Sunday, so I might head up again with my uncle. I don't think he has ever been ice fishing. :) he wants to catch macks... I told him both GM and Willy's have macks, so he is pumped to go and try.

It's been fucking cold out there the last 2 weeks on route for me. Way colder than the front range, (it's crazy watching the temp fluctuations going up and down wiggins hill) I think the ice will be fine... What melted froze over and the breeze makes it much colder than it is. Take Krispy Kreme Carl with you and have him show you how to catch squarebass, lol.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
No interest in bass... but if they're biting, that's all that matters.

Panfish is what I'd be chasing.

Mmmmmm..... 20 fish limit.........

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Prewitt is mainly a walleye lake now according to CPW's fish survey.

Kind of a cool place, been a long time since I fished it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went east. Hit a small lake. 2-5" of ice. Slow compared to past trips. Caught a few bass, one crappie, one green sunfish x bluegill hybrid, a bunch of small bluegill, some other sunfish & hybrids, lost a 24"-ish channel cat at the hole. Lost a few drag rippers that came unbuttoned on micro lindy slick jigs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Went east. Hit a small lake. 2-5" of ice. Slow compared to past trips. Caught a few bass, one crappie, one green sunfish x bluegill hybrid, a bunch of small bluegill, some other sunfish & hybrids, lost a 24"-ish channel cat at the hole. Lost a few drag rippers that came unbuttoned on micro lindy slick jigs.
I was using those Lindy Slick Jigs last year until I realized hooks bend too easy! Maybe that's what happened to your lost fish??

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was using those Lindy Slick Jigs last year until I realized hooks bend too easy! Maybe that's what happened to your lost fish??
No, they just came off. I think I might have had some dull ones that need replaced or sharpened. I've had some bend on removal after much use but not enough to cause concern. They've been my top producer for the last few years. I've caught trout up to 20", bass to 18" and cats to 19" on them.
The cat today was actually caught on a northland forage minnow fry, also probably needs sharpened, not too sharp out of the box. Speaking of Northland, their tungsten fireball jig hooks will crumble if you look at them the wrong way, super weak.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like a good day, anyway Shaun! I'm surprised there wasn't more than 2-5" out there after the recent cold.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds like a blast!! Gotta love those hybrid sunfish!!:smile:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts