Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im somewhat new to flyfishing and was wondering what river produces the most fish for you guys ? I flyfish mostly in the spring and fall but lately ive been itchin to get out ...any suggestions on where and what to use .....I usually use the wooly buggers I tie but its alway early or late in the year and the fish arent picky .....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hate to say it but Waterton Canyon has some decent evening fishing on Caddis just about every night. The fish arent huge but if you have the itch they definately will keep you busy....

Fish

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ill have to check it out ....thats above chatfield res .

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you have a belly boat try getting out on one of the Pella Ponds early morn or eve. Usually some good topwater action 30 feet from shore and in for bass. Otherwise run a clouser or other baitfish imitation near cover to incite strikes. I'm in Westminster - just down the road from you. If I'm itching for nearby trout fishing I'll usually head up to Walker Ranch (South Boulder Creek below Gross Res.)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have yet to find flyfishing easy.  So if anyone really does know of "easy" flyfishing let me know too.  I would really like to tie into some trout on the fly rod.

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
I THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT IF THE EXPERT FLY FISHERMAN IN THIS GROUP COULD TAKE US NOVICES AND TEACH US A LITTLE. MAYBE EVERYONE COULD DO SOMETHING SIMILAR IN THEIR FIELD OF EXPERTISE.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....I guess im not new to flyfishing Im new to catching fish on a flyrod ...In early early spring when the rivers are low and water is really clear its super easy to catch fish ....On the big thompson I use griffiths gnat and midge patterns ....and for some reason I always do well with the wooly buggers i tie ....but in summer I get so caught up with bass fishin I dont go that much .....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess I'm kind of at a loss about the "easy" part. Lots of local rivers with great trout/mile numbers (Arkansas, Eagle, Colorado, Big T, sections of the S. Platte, etc. etc.), but they may not be "easy" if you have to get great dead drifts with your nymphs or drag-free drifts with your dries. There's no quick fix for learning how to polish your skills.

If you want to hike into almost any stream that you know or suspect has trout in it, you'll find fish that are pretty oportunistic and "uneducated". A mile from the parking area will probably do it. That's because it's a small percentage of FF'ers who spend any significant time doing anything other than roadside fishing.

If you want to drive to, say, the Arkansas, there are sections of that river that have surveyed at over 6,000 trout per mile (but I would still advocate C&R there)! If you wanted to keep it simple and fish some appropriate nymphs under an indicator (but be sure they're down on the streambed) in the likely looking water and kept working at making manageable casts, mending frequently and getting great, drag-free drifts -- you'll catch fish! But you don't just figure out how to do it all in a few minutes. A skilled nymph fisherman, to continue this example, can often outcatch a neophyte/early intermediate 10 to 1 or more using the same flies and fishing the same water. But the practice and development of skill should be part of the attraction, I think.

If not, why the heck are you flyfishing?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea thats it ....ive been improving my skills over the last couple of years but Im still a beginner and tired of fishing rivers where it seems like you need a phd to figure the fish out .

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have to agree with Bit here. When i first read easy flyfishin the first thought is here's another guy looking for an easy way out. Fly fishing isn't easy. ever. Now that being said you spend time with certain guys they make it look easy. It's all about putting time on the water. Here's a great example. I mentioned Waterton Canyon in an earlier post. Well when I first started I did well on a elk hair caddis and continued to fish that fly all summer long but in the fall noticed they wouldnt eat an elk hair caddis. Enter BWO's into my fly box. I started with 1 fly box. I currently have 9. Here's the funny part you won't find one elk hair caddis in any of those boxes..... I have Iris Caddis's, X Caddis's, Stimulator's, and one i just picked up in Montana last week the Mr. T which is a spent crippled caddis that Yellowstone Cutt's just love. I wasn't here the last 2 weeks but i heard it was a 105 nothing better that an afternoon wet wading a river brings the temp right down.

Fish

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Ark. from Canon City to Salida its loaded with browns from 10 to 16" and there not nearly as picky as the heavily fished tailwaters. Great dry fly fishing during most of the summer as long as its clear. If you can find a landowner that will let you on, you'll also find bigger fish but it doesn't have the aquatic biomass to rear large fish over 18 inches although there's a few rouge bows that get up to and over 20 inches.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have to say that I am at a loss to understand why someone would not want to pursue easy flyfising, especially at first when you are just starting out. You have to have some success early or you may not continue in this wonderful sport. After all, we don't purposely go to areas where we are told that the fishing is "terrible" do we? People have every right to be proud of the years of experience they have gained in becoming a master flyfisherman, but go easy on the novices. You have to start somewhere and early success is key. Yes, I do envy those who never get skunked flyfishing or those who can routinely catch those beautiful but finicky trout on the tailwaters of the Blue (I'll bet there are not that many who can), but I'm not there yet. I often go out just to work on technique with no thought of catching fish, so I am not just looking for a shortcut.

In my day (and night) job, I am a surgeon. It has taken me many years to acquire the skill I have now. I tell the youngsters that it takes at least 5 years of basic cutting and tying to get to the point where you don't look like a fool. I have always been supportive of junior surgeons, having been there myself. Unfortunately, this is not the case with most in the field-they rip into their young until they are bleeding. It seems that a minority of flyfisherman have the same attitude, with disdain for bait fisherman and novices. Just revisit the post about of month ago about the "fishing foodchain" where everyone talked about the "look" of contempt that they get from fly fisherman. Mellow out folks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I guess i fall into part of the group that plays the whole flyfishing ethics. I just got back from the Madison river in Montana. If any of you are familar with the Madison probably the most fished spot is called 3 dollar bridge. Thursday night I counted 28 cars in the parking lot and Friday 22. Now i was with a friend and she noticed I went out of my way just to talk to people in the parking lot. Now this did bite me in the ass because the first day i found a nice group of risers working this rock and mentioned it to a guy from Vermont and him and his son locked in there the next 3 days. Lesson learned. But you get to meet some really cool people. This being said I also have a standard answer i give everyone if someone asks what did you get that on. The answer is always a red San juan worm. I don't care if I'm dry fly fishing thats always the answer. But that being said it really depends on how someone asks if its a guy yelling up the bank its one thing. If it's a person that takes the time to talk to me well then normally i give up way too much information but i figure I'm not going to catch every fish and other guys should have some success as well. I have given kids flies on the river and it's kind of fun to watch them run back to their Dad's and show them whats working. I was killing them on east delanney 2 years ago and this guy moved in closer to me and finally said I have to ask and i said kick on over here i'll give you one and with in 2 minutes he was catching fish. Now I don't fish the Blue but mainly because I would ratehr walk a mile back to the Fraser and catch fish back there. But i will fully admit yes I don't have much time for the bait guys or the guys decked out in Orvis gear. I will say this I can tell you of hundreds of empty eggs jars or worm containers i've seen left on the bank. Has any of you ever seen an empty tippet spool can't say that I have..... My whole flyfishing motto is I always have room for one more to come.... There are definately a bunch of you guys I would love to go spend an afternoon with on a river somewhere unfortunately for the big get together I will be on the Green River with my Dad so I won't have a chance to meet any of you.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im a husband, father, diesel mechanic, guitar player, bassfisherman, among other things . Not really looking to be the dude from a river runs through it . Just want to spend some good afternoons on a river and hook into one or two fish . Maybe later on when I have more time Ill work on becoming one of the guys that can pull fish when no one else can . But for right now I just dont want to be the guy who cant catch a fish when everyone else can

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Easy flyfishing has its place. How many times have we read that someone is wanting to find a place to take a kid to catch bluegills? Why because they want to show them the fun and excitement of fishing without them getting overly frustrated and turned off by fishing.

Now when that kid gets a little bit of experience you take him to areas that have bigger fish and harder fish to catch. Taking him to catch a 30# northern is not where you generally start a novice out at. You give him a chance to develope skills and learn how to hook and fight fish first. A person learns to walk before he runs!

Back to easy flyfishing. I have been attempting the craft for 4 or 5 years now. I know that there is a high level of skill required. Have I gotten better? Yes. My casts generally go where I want them to. Hooking fish and landing them is another story. My drifting techniques need tons of work. Because it is difficult to catch fish on a fly I don't have a lot of opportunity to see what I am doing right and refine what I am doing.

If I had an "easy" place to fish my speed of developing the skills needed to be a successful flyfisherman would increase dramatically.

I respect flyfisherman who are successful. I know I have tons of shortcoming in the sport and know that they did not become successful on the first cast. I will never give up bait and lure fishing for flyfishing but would be happy to develope reasonable skills that would add flyfishing to my reportoire of things I do well.

Dan

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have lived in golden all my life, I've fished all over the country. If you want to get out, whip some flies and catch fish- clear creek is the most over looked river in the metro area. I am talking 3/4 to half mile upstream from downtown golden. nuclear eggs, boogers or any stimulator. The fish are small, and I wouldn't eat'em(heavy metals) but for a close place that guarantees fish- it can't be beat!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts