Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to fly fishing and it's been frustrating. I couldn't even catch anything in Eleven Mile Canyon recently, and there were a million fish clearly visible. In one deep pool, I saw about 25 huge trout. I was bored at the time and I started goofing around-dropped a salmon egg right on the nose of the biggest fish I could see, and he didn't even flinch. I figured if he wasn't interested in that, I had no chance.

Last weekend, I decided to take some guided instruction on the upper Blue in Breckenridge. I caught about 6 trout in 4 hours and had a blast, even though it was in a snowstorm.

Went back today alone and got nothing. This is getting frustrating.

Does anyone know of a good learning stream fairly close to Denver before I lose interest? Or any other suggestions to keep a novice interested. I know it can take a while to get somewhat good at reading a stream and learning bugs and the lures they imitate. I also know luck has a part to play, but if I don't catch trout on the fly pretty soon here, I just may give up. I read about it voraciously and I'm motivated to do what you all suggest.

M

·
0 Posts
I learned up at Deckers on the South Platte. For a lot of places this still may not be the besty time of year due to runoff. I don't know if the water has slowed yet. I would wait until you have an open day and head to Deckers. Fish by the Trumble bridge where you will be casting towards the backs of some kind of run-down houses. If you don't get any fish, you will at least get etter with your technique. If you feel confident head up the trail into Cheesman Canyon and try your luck. I assume the Flies and Lies shop is still in business, though I haven't been up this year.

Fly fishing was very very very frustrating for me until I fished the San Juan below Navajo Dam. It's right on the border in New Mexico. About 8ish hours from Denvr I would say.

·
Registered
193 Posts
boy i hate to say this but 11 mile canyon is about as easy as they get for me. I have no bait fishing experience on it but drop a green scud 5 feet under an indicator you'll catch fish.

Fish

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come to think about it, I don't think there is an easy shortcut. A lot of people I know have had to invest years learning the craft. I like Clear Creek and it's close. I'll try 11 Mile again. I've ignored that scud thing but I'll give it a go. Thanks.

T

·
0 Posts
stick with it and be persistent. fishing is about learning. learning how to fish, where to fish, when to fish and with what to fish with. it takes time. if everyone that fished went out each time and had a banner day, that just would not emulate anything in life or sport.

until mid/late july when run off winds down, it will be tough. stick with 11 mile canyon and learn to nymph fish under a stike indicator. work your nymphs and pay close attenion to the amount of split shot (weight) you are using - you have to get down to the bottom and tick it. also pay close attention in combination with your weight on the depth you set your indicator.
work the fish you see - add weight, take some off - raise the indicator and then lower it. play around to crack the code. and don't be afraid to try various nyphs.

fishing a place where you can see fish makes it easier as a beginner to learn. keep trying the stair step up on the blue before breckenridge. if you try fishing a place where the trout are not as visibile it makes it harder to learn. but pay attention to those places where you fish where you can see trout and remember how they were holding and the kind of water they were in and apply that to other streams/rivers. you'll soon be much more successful. gotta pay your dues, learn and get time in on the water and honing your skills.

alos buy the book "Tactics for Trout" by Dave Hughes, at sportsmans warehouse. it will be a very good read for your learning.

good luck

·
Registered
193 Posts
Silicone

Let me tell you a little story. When i first started fly fishing 13 years ago the first time out i had success on an elk hair caddis. I fished the elk hair caddis every time i went. Well come October the fish are rising but they won't take my elk hair caddis. But the are taking which now i know is BWO's and i took a class to learn how to tie them. Now during that class they taught how to tie hymphs but i really didnt see any reason to use hymphs because i'm a dry fly fisherman. Well 13 years later if you look at my fly boxes 95% of the flies i use are nymphs and it pains me to throw a dry fly. So what I'm saying is be open to experimenting. One of the huge advantages to 11 mile canyon is it doesnt get blown out by runoff. So you want my 3 dollar advice use a oline scud on top size 14 about 18" of line and drop a BHPT about a 20 off the bottum. Set it about 5' under the indicator. Actually i may be able to be talked into fishing it this next Saturday so if you want a few tips let me know maybe i'll meet you up there or even take you to spinney which also is a pretty decent place to catch a fish......

Fish

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement and advice. As for this weekend, I'm going to do something much less productive--I'm going to Vegas. :-\

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another good place that I've had luck is the Big Thompson above Drake. I fished it last year with a size 16 Elk Hair Caddis with a size 20 Pheasant Tail, Copper John or Brassie about 18" below it. It was alot of fun and the fish were very cooperative. Most of them were in the 10-14" range, but I did manage to get 2 really nice 18" bows in that stretch below the dam that runs along the go-cart tracks. Most of the fish came up after the dry fly.

I agree with all everyone has said about 11-mile canyon too... small nymphs are deadly!! I like the size 20 or 22 black beauties or miracle nymphs... Really easy to tie! Once the BWO's and PMD's start coming off this summer you can fish almost all day with a size 20 parachute adams. I really did well last July doing this. My kids even caught quite a few. It helps to tie about 3 or 4 feet of 2lb. fluorocarbon tippet (berkley vanish) on the end of your leader too.. Strike indicator placement is very critical as is the amount of weight.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts