Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if I am alone on this. I've looked for all types of stuff on EBAY over the years but never really find what I would call a deal. Many times the info isn't clear about excactly what I'm getting and after the shipping and handling it is not a deal at all. Many times the final bid price ends up higher than what I would pay at normal stores. Many items that are offered are from EBAY storefronts and they are not cheaper than anyone else. Used stuff is usually taking a risk for a small savings. Do you agree? I find EBAY not very productive.

If you got a real deal on something I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When it comes to prices, I have to agree that ebay isn't all that great.

Its good for hard to find items. for example, RAD, an 80s bmx movie. I could only find it on ebay

D

·
0 Posts
I have bought several high end reels on eBay for about 60%-70% of the cheapest retail price I could find.  The secret is to be patient.  You may lose 4 or 5 auctions before you can buy what you want at a decent price.   Don't get caught up in a bidding war.

I've also seen some good deals on depth finders, too, although I haven't actually bought one there ... yet.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I dont really think that for sporting good type items there are many good deals out there on eBay...people are usually asking just as much as you would pay retail, if not more. This isnt always the case, but for the most part is what ive noticed. Its that, or people go crazy with bidding and it turns out to be a sort of contest....I tried about 5 or 6 times to buy a last years model Matthews compound bow---and each time the price shot up over what normal retail was. it was bizzare, its like people get so worked up with winning the bid they lose thier minds. on my final attempt to buy a bow a guy outbid me and actually paid well over the cost of what the bow retailed for. i was sure to point that out to him, but he never responded ;)

ive sold some stuff on eBay...but wont buy anything there. its too out of control for the stuff i am in the market for, and i can find cheaper prices elsewhere i think.

clothes are cheap on eBay though....my girlfriend buys stuff there all the time and saves money----but has been ripped off a few times too. to me it isnt worth it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Ebay is a sellers market if they know how to advertise, i get top $$ for almost everything thing I sell.  Plus I post alot of photos ... I sold a used 2000 rockhopper mtn bike for the same price of a brand new 2005 model ... Ill take that!!

for buyers: Try to look for items closing on holidays, friday early evenings/nights, middle of the night, early morning, rush hour

For instance: i bought some snow goggles on christmas day for $70 shipped , same goggles 2 days earlier, went for $120 +ship

Ebay is great place to buy if you have patience, but some people spend ridiculous amounts of money.  Did you see the autographed Britney Spears Panties for sale?  was pretty funny

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Ebay is great. You can find hard to find items and if you dont need somehting right away you can wait patiently and pick up things pretty cheap. Just need to figure out what you are willing to pay and not get caught up in the bidding. I have seen lots of items go for more then what tehy are new because the people get so caught up and have to WIN the bid.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Im not saying eBay doesnt have alot of items and isnt a good place to find merchandise that isnt easy found elsewhere...but man, the bidding wars get crazy, especially about 30 minutes prior to a sale closing. Maybe its just the things i shop for, but i havnt had much luck in the past getting good deals...

so no Mr ePiC, eBay isnt GREAT. you are wrong wrong WRONG! ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Oh yeah you're right EBAY is DA DEVIL!!! >:D

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
No, eBay isnt the devil...Bill Gates is the DEVIL...and that weird little dancing man on the Elitches commericals...he kinda scares me too, maybe hes the devil.....

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
ebay is not great, it is beyond great

Especially because Im on the receivng ($$) end of it!!   ;D

Am I a capitalist?? Someone told me craigslist is the "non-capitalist" version of ebay, then i recently found out ebay owns a portion on craigs

bill gates ... i think everyone hates him because he's so damn rich, i wish i was as smart as him & as rich ... but i would retire early, so he's stupid then? ... not the devil i think .. he needs a good backcountry fishing trip to get his senses back

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ebay for sure isnt what it used to be years ago. You used to be able to find some smokin deals.

Im always buying stuff on ebay and for the most part find pretty good deals. For example: I just picked up 12 nice trolling spoons for $9.00. Most of these are atleaset $3.00/ea new. They are used but I still think it is a good deal?

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
When looking for fishing items I always start out looking for "lots" or "bulk". You'd be amazed at how low (and how high) some of these items go.

I lost a bid a month ago for a Lot of 10 Lucky Craft Pointers I bid 50$ and it went for 65$, it was in the Wholesale section not the Sporting goods.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Another thing about ebay & a get rich quick scheme which has already taken off

Today, almost all Pawn shops will set their loan amount on ebay pricing, but they do not look at completed items or do a thorough search for highest price ... theyre looking for lowest price, even if a running auction w/ 10 days left ... the people who dont know the internet are getting screwed by the pawn shops ... so to say

anyway. As a test I took a dig camera (which I just bought for $100 shipped) to a pawn shop, they offered $5. because there was one listed for like $5 or 10 ... I laughed at her, went home and looked up the same auction she found, the one she found was broken & she never mentioned non-working to me

Pawn shops are killin it!!!!   Open a pawn shop, sell on ebay, you'll get rich maybe ... or alot closer  .... be careful on stolen merchandise or find an investigator who will run serial #s if youre worried ,,, i do that all the time, We've dealt with the Sheriff many times, but we're legit

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I know people who work at pawnshops, they dont use ebay for their pricing. They have catalogs that keep a price index so they know a min and a max that they can loan for items.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ebay can be a great resource for hard to find stuff but you really really need to know exactly what you're looking for. Impulse buying on ebay for stuff you don't have thurough knowledge about will bite you in the ass. There are definitely some sleaze merchants selling crap out there but if you know the item you're looking for it can be great. I've bought everything from collector zippos to hockey gear to fishing stuff to car and motorcycle parts and have only had one expereience where I was disappointed with what I bought and I was able to return it. I have sold just as wide a variety of stuff and have only had one or 2 bad experiences but I always ended up getting my money.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pawn shops also use google search for prices.Where they google to-the jury's out on that one.I bought a Jeff Gordon light (relly cool) on ebay for 1 cent.Got hit for $20.99 for shipping.Found the same item at a nascar store for $69.99.So I think I made out pretty well.Auto parts as mentioned earlier can sometimes be a bargain as well.Its all hit or miss.Kinda like fishing.Hmm

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As a refresher course, for the last week I've been trying to buy various fishing/boating items that I've been wanting for this upcoming year on EBAY.
Many times final sales prices are more than one could buy the item new. If there are savings, more than a few % anyway, it is usually because the items are used (used stuff usually fetches nearly the same or sometimes more than buying new after shipping is figured in) or questionable in some way. Prices may be slightly less than a high end retailer but not much.
I say load up a bunch of colorful plastic looking fishing crap in any old piece of junk tackle box and put it up. Some sucker will buy it. Call it vintage.  There apparently are a lot of ignorant people out there.

I once again found EBAY to be a complete waste of time. The time I spent looking, bidding, waiting, and watching, was huge and not worth the effort. I'm sure if one spends his whole life looking there will likely be a deal to be had but you can have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
You have to be careful when using Ebay to be sure. But there are bargains out there, not everything is a bargain though. don't get caught up in bidding fever, set a maximum price you are willing to pay including shipping. One bargain I got was a dozen pocket knives for .01 and 10.99 for shipping. 11 bucks and I have not worried about losing a knife for 3 years now since I have half a dozen at home, one in my pocket and a couple in my tackle box. Be smart and there are deals, if you are not there are no deals.

But as a seller on Ebay I love folks who get caught up in bidding fever and don't do their homework. I charge very reasonable shipping, set a fair starting price and let the buyers decide how much money I make. Sometimes I make a little, not really enough to make anything worthwhile but usually I make a tidy profit that keeps me selling.

"Caveat Emptor"

Dan

·
Registered
344 Posts
  I've always had great luck buying brand new, name brand sporting goods at big discounts but you do have to be patient.

Set up your ebay account with daily agents that email you with the specific items you wish to buy as soon as someone lists them. You do this by saving your favorite searches in your "MyEbay". http://pages.ebay.com/education/index.html#

Put the ones you're interested in into your watch list and ebay will notify you when the auctions are getting close.

If they are still in your range of spending then set up a free sniping service http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=free+sniping+tool&FORM=QBHP to bid for you at the last second. You don't even have to be online. You've set your maximum bid and if it goes higher you don't win......no problem.

The best deals are on name brand goods that have just been discontinued or replaced by this year's model. A good example was a pair of Simms Guide Waders the year the new G3 Waders came out. I bought a brand new pair for $200 on ebay that sold at the fly shops for $350.

The same goes for Sage, Winston, T&Thomas or any high end fly rod. Whenever a new model comes out that replaces a current one it's time to hit ebay for major savings.

A couple of precautions:

Check completed auctions for the same item to see what they are selling for and make sure it's possible to get a good deal.

Make sure the seller has a good history with 95% or better feedback.

Double check the shipping costs ( sometimes they sneak in extra profit).

..........just my 2 cents  ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts