Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Boyd this morning. Got there around 04:00 in the morning and fished til bout 08:00. We were actually there hoping for some early dawn walleyes, but the walleyes weren't there in the current. I heard that my friends went there a few days before and caught a few walleyes that were close to keeper size so that inspired this morning's trip. Fished the inlet by the Marina channel. The water is running and current is swift so if anybody goes there, I suggest some CAUTION.

Anywayzzz, around 1/2 hour before sunrise we found a school of miniature wipers running (roughly guessing) 8 to 9 inches. Tiny lil hard fighting suckers. They were hitting glow in the dark chartreuse/white 2 1/2 inch tube jigs (from Sportsman's) with plain lead color round jigheads (1/16oz I think). Oh, one more thing.... The jigheads sported the red hooks (bought from Gander Mtn for $1.00 per 10).

On with the report.. Between the three of us, we caught and released (educated  ;D) everything and "everything" was a whole lot. We were getting fish for almost every cast and I lost count after 30 something. The other two caught as much as I did and even more after I left. My buddy caught the one fish that he planned to keep (trout for his boss to grill) and it was pretty big!! I'm guessing that sucker must have been like frikkin 20 inches or over. Unfortunately, she spit the hook right at his foot, took two flops and off into the current the trout went. I was laughing my arse off  :D

It was a fun morning. It woulda been nice to catch some of those fat whitebass that live in Boyd, but it may be a lil early for those. I'll post the pics once developed. Give me like a week to waste film.

Personal Analysis of Boyd Lake: 1st off, I only started hearing of wipers at Boyd for the past year or so. I am assuming this is a new thing. Maybe the DOW just recently stocked these about a few years back. From this experience and the experiences of others I know that have fished there in the past few weeks, there's a crapload of these lil hybrids swimming and growning in there. Boyd is not a bad lake at all. It's got various depths, a decent population of forage fish, some structure and canal-like coves which may serve as hot spots for larger fish in the near future. If people could please release all these lil wipers while they're small and wait til they're at least 15 inches and up to keep them, we may have the next 'big' wiper hotspot of northern Colorado. I sh*t chu not, it is very possible for this lake to be a trophy wiper fishery! But I aint no biologist so I wont go any further with that. Main thing I want to point out is that these lil hybrids must be returned to the waters of Boyd and if we patiently wait, Boyd will be our next Union or Jackson which ultimately gives us..... Another good wiper fishery added to our list.

Hope y'all liked the report. Also, thanks for taking the time to read the additional ramblings.

1eyeReD                                  "HAPPY FISHING!!"

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Tight. Im going to go catch all those fish and keep them lol just playing man. I know some people on this site dont like when guys keep fish. I do keep fish i dont fish for bass except whitebass so dont worry bass fisherman. One thing that i dont like is when i go to lakes and people are keeping the really small wipers and whitebass. Let them grow so we can tell stories about how the rod flew in the lake and how our line got snaped a couple times.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HookNLine said:
Tight. Im going to go catch all those fish and keep them lol just playing man. I know some people on this site dont like when guys keep fish. I do keep fish i dont fish for bass except whitebass so dont worry bass fisherman. One thing that i dont like is when i go to lakes and people are keeping the really small wipers and whitebass. Let them grow so we can tell stories about how the rod flew in the lake and how our line got snaped a couple times.
Same goes for me, bud.. Same goes for me.. I'm not anti-keep fish, of course, but I've got guidelines too.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I was at Frank Easement today. People were in the parking lot showing each other the 10-12 inch Largemouths they were keeping. Very sad :mad: It was too late to say anything (they were already dead). Not to mention there were maybe 10 guys, and I was w/ my pregnant wife. I'm sure there was something I could have said, but I lack tact sometimes?  :(

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
A person does not need to open his mouth every time he sees something. Its important to speak at the right time, in the right way for the right reason. One vs ten, might not have been the best time to speak up, especially since your pregnant wife is with you. And since I was not there I would be foolish to second guess you for not speaking up. So I can only say you made a decision that was right for you and your wife at the time. Don't worry about not saying anything. :)

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
yeah, you got to be good at picking your battles, or sometimes you end up losing...as ive found out in the past on a few occasions lol

awesome report, 1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan said:
A person does not need to open his mouth every time he sees something.  Its important to speak at the right time, in the right way for the right reason.  One vs ten, might not have been the best time to speak up, especially since your pregnant wife is with you.  And since I was not there I would be foolish to second guess you for not speaking up.  So I can only say you made a decision that was right for you and your wife at the time.  Don't worry about not saying anything.  :)

Dan
WERD!!

The best you can do is educate people at the right time. In the parking lot with people you don't know is not always the best choice. I always try to encourage my buddies to practice good outdoorsman etiquette. I remind em' about not littering, length limits, bag limits, rules etc... Remind em generally about steering away from ignorance and from there they spread the wisdom. Some of the guys were on to it before I had to even speak up. The rookies catch on quick too and especially the kids. <-- Keyword (younger generation)

As far as people you don't know in the parking lot...... I'd just leave it to the authorities. It bugs me when people do that, but I don't feel like I'm totally in the position to really say much. Nark if ya have to, but at all possible, avoid any conflicts.. Cause I myself don't like it when normal anglers come up to me trying to play the roll of "Ranger Rick" when I already know what I'm doing.

Once, when I was in Wisconsin, I was fishing the Wolf River and some angler came up to me and my elderly uncles and asked for us to show fishing licenses. He even confirmed that he was just a regular angler. That sh*t's not cool. We had ours on us, but I showed him nothing. Told him to go get a DNR to come do it. He took my word for it and went about his business.

Once at Pella Crossing, a lady walking her dog kindly said "Be careful of that other side of the pond, they don't letcha fish there and I wouldn't wanna see you get in trouble."

That was cool. I think if anything should be said, if ya say it like that, it's ok. But anyhow, you guys all make some very good points.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rottal said:
yeah, you got to be good at picking your battles, or sometimes you end up losing...as ive found out in the past on a few occasions  lol

awesome report, 1eyeReD
I found out the hard way a few times too LOL!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Going back to the fishing at Boyd, I know how fun it is to catch those little fighters by the dozen. But I just assumed they were white bass, not wipers. I never did check their tongue for the tooth patches. I guess I was catching wiper all along, although they were small ones.

So where would you fish Boyd if the pump is not running?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pescado loco said:
So where would you fish Boyd if the pump is not running? 
Hmm.... That's tough. I've done well at the pump house on the SW side of the lake. I've done well in that canal on the SW side too, especially at the mouth of it, but this year the water's so high that anything you throw will go into the lil trees and bushes. The North end is ok, but never done great there. I'd still focus on that Marina channel. If a boat is part of your options, I'd try the rip rap on the "unreachable by foot" sides of the lake. Long ago in later summer months, I've chased white bass around the center of the lake before with topwaters on boat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Boyd is stocked with white bass and not wiper. At least that is what I have been told. They do not get very big and can be found all over the lake. I fished Boyd Friday and caught 4 small walleye and keeper perch. We fished up on the north end and on the southeast end in front of the houses. We were in a boat. We found the the perch in about 10 to 13 feet of water and walleyes were hanging just outside them in about 17 feet of water. We used leeches only as the perch would have had a hay day with worms on the harnesses.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd agree, I think Boyd ony has white bass. We literally caught hundreds last year. the biggest was 16in. caught by my 8 year old son. When you get on a school of them it's some of the funnest times I've had fishing. Like a Chinese fire drill. Picture me with 3 kids on a boat , on top of a school of those. I'm taking off fish, untangleing line, baited hooks, it's a blast. Yes, they are all released, except for a few of those walleyes that come sneeking in. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
We caught alot of white bass there also, mostly out past the marina in the channel. Biggest was about 16" last year on fathers day w/the old guy. Done pretty good uup thr ice fishing as well for gils & trout.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was there a couple of weeks ago and could've sworn that I caught a wiper!!....I forgot to look at the patches in her mouth....but she had the broken black lines going across the body...It was only about 7 inches...fought harder than a white bass...who knows, we'll probably have to ask the DOW.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got $5 on it that those were wipers. Who wants in the pool? J/K.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
If there is a wiper in there it is just a fluke and just as a side note dont ever feel bad about keeping white bass they are the second most prolific game fish after yellow perch. Trust me you cannot catch them faster then they can breed each female lays somewere around 500k eggs main limiting factor for them is food availability. I have noticed also that they go in cycles last year those 8-9 inchers were around 4 the year before there were lots in the 12+ range so if my theory is correct next year should be an awesome year and they are great eating fihs by the way.
Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK OK, now I am totally confused, because the guy that I first saw pulling them out of Boyd told me there are both wiper and white bass. So, now can someone tell us when the pump is running by the marina, so then I can go and catch the llittle silver rockets and check their tongue patches? I know, it's dirty work, but someone has to do it! ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts