Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an eagle strata view 128 fishfinder,liquid crystal display.Can I use it for Icefishing with the Transducer it came with,?? or to I need to get me a spacific one for Icefishing,and can I use my "CP12-4.5(12v,4.5Ah)"battery from my underwater cam.,and not to any damage to the unit.
I also like to get some tips how to install the fishfinder on my boat,I don't have a boat trailer,push it in and out of my truck,it gets scratched on the bottom when I pull it out of the water have to get it totaly out of the water in order to get it back into the truck.Any help whould be great,thank's.
''HAPPY NEW YEAR"
Gunter Romeo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
Elvis, I would bet your transducer is identical, or nearly so, to the Lowrance tranducer I use (the "skimmer" transducer). You can rig any sonar transducer for ice fishing, really. Lorwrance and Eagle are merged companies, so their transducers are interchangeable. You can most likely rig your transducer like mine. If it's a different style, I can help you figure out how to set it up. It's not hard.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cutthroat said:
Elvis, I would bet your transducer is identical, or nearly so, to the Lowrance tranducer I use (the "skimmer" transducer).  You can rig any sonar transducer for ice fishing, really.  Lorwrance and Eagle are merged companies, so their transducers are interchangeable.  You can most likely rig your transducer like mine.  If it's a different style, I can help you figure out how to set it up.  It's not hard.
Thank's Mark,if you could help me that whould be really great,what about the battery can I use it??..you are the man...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
Most of the fishfinders work on 12V DC, so you can pick up a on of the 5 Ah or 9 Ah batteries from the top shelf of the battery rack next to the trolling motor display at the Loveland Sportsman's wharehouse for 20 bucks. Either of these will probably power your fishfinder through several hours of fishing. The 9 Ah will definitely do the trick, if you're fishing all day. You need to charger, too. It doesn't have to be one of the big ones like you use for charging car batteries. You can get one of the small ones that looks like a power adapter you plug into the wall, and hook the clips up to your battery terminals. They have those at Sportsman's as well (near same location). Otherwise, look for all the different possible chargers at Harborfreight tools on Prospect and College in Fort Collins (next to Chuck E. Cheese's) They have everything from the small power adapter type to the larger car-battery type. I got one of the car battery type for $20 there last year. These bigger ones will charge your battery faster. The power adapter style work better if you don't even drain the battery completely - they will top the charge off overnight on a lightly used 9 Ah battery.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cutthroat said:
Most of the fishfinders work on 12V DC, so you can pick up a on of the 5 Ah or 9 Ah batteries from the top shelf of the battery rack next to the trolling motor display at the Loveland Sportsman's wharehouse for 20 bucks.  Either of these will probably power your fishfinder through several hours of fishing.  The 9 Ah will definitely do the trick, if you're fishing all day.  You need to charger, too.  It doesn't have to be one of the big ones like you use for charging car batteries.  You can get one of the small ones that looks like a power adapter you plug into the wall, and hook the clips up to your battery terminals.  They have those at Sportsman's as well (near same location).  Otherwise, look for all the different possible chargers at Harborfreight tools on Prospect and College in Fort Collins (next to Chuck E. Cheese's)  They have everything from the small power adapter type to the larger car-battery type.  I got one of the car battery type for $20 there last year.  These bigger ones will charge your battery faster.  The power adapter style work better if you don't even drain the battery completely - they will top the charge off overnight on a lightly used 9 Ah battery.
Thank's again,C.T.and have a happy new year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
Thanks Elvis, I'd be happier if I was fishing today and partying tonight, but I've got other priorities, at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
You might try what I did w/my Eagle. I use the plastic case it came in. It has plenty of room inside to hold a gel cell battery and the excess transducer cord. I mounted the yoke for the display unit on the side of the case and cut a couple of notches in one of the mating surfaces of the case for the power and transducer cables. Then I cut a piece of lexan about 1.25" x 12', drilled a 1/4" hole in one end to bolt it to the edge of the case, near the bottom, mounted the transducer to the other end of the lexan, ran the cable through one of the notches, coiled up the excess inside the case, then ran the plug end of the transducer cable back through the notch to plug it into the sonar. then I ran the power cord through another notch and plugged it into its receptacle. When you get on the ice, swing down the lexan arm w/the transducer into the water w/the case resting on the ice next to the hole. When I'm done for the day, I swing the arm up and use a large rubber band to hold it in place and turn the sonar so it's face down against the side of the case. This way, I can use the same sonar for ice fishing as well as on my boat in summer.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
daveycrocket said:
You might try what I did w/my Eagle. I use the plastic case it came in. It has plenty of room inside to hold a gel cell battery and the excess transducer cord. I mounted the yoke for the display unit on the side of the case and cut a couple of notches in one of the mating surfaces of the case for the power and transducer cables. Then I cut a piece of lexan about 1.25" x 12', drilled a 1/4" hole in one end to bolt it to the edge of the case, near the bottom, mounted the transducer to the other end of the lexan, ran the cable through one of the notches, coiled up the excess inside the case, then ran the plug end of the transducer cable back through the notch to plug it into the sonar. then I ran the power cord through another notch and plugged it into its receptacle. When you get on the ice, swing down the lexan arm w/the transducer into the water w/the case resting on the ice next to the hole. When I'm done for the day, I swing the arm up and use a large rubber band to hold it in place and turn the sonar so it's face down against the side of the case. This way, I can use the same sonar for ice fishing as well as on my boat in summer.
Thank you,daveycrocket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
I have been looking for that website! I lose track of so many good websites, it's nice to have you guys post them on the forum, so I can find them again.

Hey, Elvis, if you want to do the Ammobox setup, you can probably pick up the ammo boxes at Jax Surplus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,145 Posts
Eagle also sells a portabile box that holds the whole unit plus batteries, saw one on ebay last night for $9.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
CHRIS said:
Eagle also sells a portabile box that holds the whole unit plus batteries, saw one on ebay last night for $9.00.
Elvis, this might be a good way to go, but be warned that alkaline, NiCad, and NiMH batteries (the ones that fit the portable box, I think), will run out quickly when cold. Alkaline is the worst. Lithium is what you want, but they are expensive and are not rechargable. The Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) 12V batteries work better in the cold, so if you can find one that will fit the portable box, it would be a better idea.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cutthroat said:
CHRIS said:
Eagle also sells a portabile box that holds the whole unit plus batteries, saw one on ebay last night for $9.00.
Elvis, this might be a good way to go, but be warned that alkaline, NiCad, and NiMH batteries (the ones that fit the portable box, I think), will run out quickly when cold.  Alkaline is the worst.  Lithium is what you want, but they are expensive and are not rechargable.  The Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) 12V batteries work better in the cold, so if you can find one that will fit the portable box, it would be a better idea.
Cutthroat, thank's again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
935 Posts
Elvis,
If you want to bring me some beer, I'll help you put the whole thing together.

Will work for beer.
 
3

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cutthroat said:
Elvis,
If you want to bring me some beer, I'll help you put the whole thing together.

Will work for beer.
You got a deal,pm me and we get toghether,what kind of beer you like??
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top