Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See yas.

Might do both freshwater and salt. Parker tom, what do you know about lake manatee? I heard it has nice wipers. Otherwise I'll be fishing longboat pass and the lagoons with my son.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Why in the hell would you bother with fresh water in Florida? ???
Really depends on where you are and how much you have to spend. If you have any availability to offshore, go there for sure. That's some of the best eating fish there is. And fun to catch as well. It can be expensive to gain access to those fish though, $500-$1000/day is more than I'm going to spend for any prolonged period.

Inshore can be good at times, but honestly, reds & speckled trout could get old after a while. Plus there are times when they're just tough to get to eat. When the snook and tarpon are in, they can be a blast to chase around. But for the northern half of the state, there are very limited to no resident populations of snook & tarpon over the winter.

Many of the central and north central Florida lakes are laden with black crappie, and the crappie get a lot bigger and a lot more of them than the black crappie we get here in CO. So if left with the choice of driving 10 miles to get into some really good black crappie, or driving 100 miles to get a shot at decent red fishing ... I might stay local. Of course there's bass in most of those lakes as well, but bass fishing is not my thing (did it for years, caught a bazillion, doesn't do it for me any more).

Best regards,
Dogwood

ps, I caught that fish in your avatar the other day. She says "hi".

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Really no nothing about fresh water stuff in Fl other then some brackish stuff way back in the Glades that had some bass etc. Most of my fishing was beach's, jettys and rip rap sea walls. 1/2 oz bucktails, sassy shad, silver spoons and rattle traps where my go to lures all tipped with fresh shrimp tails except rattle traps. My all time best lure down there was a free lined minnow.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Really depends on where you are and how much you have to spend. If you have any availability to offshore, go there for sure. That's some of the best eating fish there is. And fun to catch as well. It can be expensive to gain access to those fish though, $500-$1000/day is more than I'm going to spend for any prolonged period.

Inshore can be good at times, but honestly, reds & speckled trout could get old after a while. Plus there are times when they're just tough to get to eat. When the snook and tarpon are in, they can be a blast to chase around. But for the northern half of the state, there are very limited to no resident populations of snook & tarpon over the winter.

Many of the central and north central Florida lakes are laden with black crappie, and the crappie get a lot bigger and a lot more of them than the black crappie we get here in CO. So if left with the choice of driving 10 miles to get into some really good black crappie, or driving 100 miles to get a shot at decent red fishing ... I might stay local. Of course there's bass in most of those lakes as well, but bass fishing is not my thing (did it for years, caught a bazillion, doesn't do it for me any more).

Best regards,
Dogwood

ps, I caught that fish in your avatar the other day. She says "hi".
Well, I understand what you're saying....and location to salt is definitely a concern...but Dave is from Flo-Rida, and I'm pretty sure he knows what's up. Plus, I just like busting his balls, cuz he's a Down Low Black dong lover. Cuz you know, he knows the brothas love the big girls.... :D

That wiper was a kind lady...I hope you returned her with minimal harm....

Actually, I don't care what you did with her! hahahahaha! Congrats, they're fun ass fish!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I meant your sig pic, the smallie. That's a really nice fish for these parts. Didn't see that you'd updated your avatar shot.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Ooops, my bad. I meant your sig pic, the smallie. That's a really nice fish for these parts. Didn't see that you'd updated your avatar shot.
Oh, yeah...that smallie was a toad. Was fishing with Boondick when I stuck her. We watched it eat right at the boat.

I've gotten a few in the 5 pound range, haven't crested 6 since that fish though.

Looking for a 7+ this fall....

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i haven't been on here much because of work and travel so I guess I'll just post what I caught. Fished skyway pier and a few passes in st pete. Didn't wanna go too far from family.... I caught snappers and some baby pompano with a bunch of hardhead cats. Biggest I got was 12 inches. Threw them all back because they were undersized. Saw a few sharks cruising the inshore mangroves and some big snook/cobia that decided to school up by some greenbacks. It was a fun trip and kind of got me missing living in St. Petersburg a lot. Despite the south side being a total **** hole, it is a fun city with lots to do social wise and fishing wise. That and I like palm trees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts