Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just returned from eight weeks of spending time in Western Colorado. Out of those eight weeks I fished part of 39 days for trout in rivers,lakes and resevoirs. The most rewarding in size and numbers would have been Lake John near Walden,Colorado,Crystal Lake South of Leadville,Colorado, Gunnison River in the Black Canyon National Park,Taylor River and Taylor Lake near Tincup,Colorado.
No matter where I went the numbers were awesome and the fun was continous.
When using my spinning rod and reel, I was using 4 lb SOS line,6X Seaguar Grand Max Floro,chartreuse Trout Magnet jig and white Trout Magnet body and I would use red body when sun got up.
When using fly rod I decided to use only Mini Trout Magnets. The best results were using gold mini jigs with either white or salmon body.
So many of the lakes and rivers were low due to small snow fall this pass winter.A lot of the lakes on the Grand Mesa were no t fishable as was the Yampa river. The Blue Mesa Resevoir,Gunnison River, was a good 30' low.
The highlight of trip was fishing Gunnison River in bottom of Black Canyon NP. To get there we had to go down a road without guard rails,lots of turns,16% grade and 2000' drop in 2 1/2 miles. Caught the most beautiful Rainbow trout while fishing the river. We camped next to the river and dreamed about the trip back up that road.
Great trip,great people,huge numbers and great salve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tangler

Being 76 and just loving the time I get to fish and the time I spend in the outdoors,I carry a very old flip phone only out of necessity and never carry a camera. I will only fish with barbless hooks so I can get the fish back into the water as quick as possible. Plus when I use Trout Magnet products,the only place the hook will hook is in its top lip so back into the water quick. I feel very fortunate to still be able to fish and do the awesome things I get to do in the outdoors and especially Colorado.When pictures are taken it is by someone who is with me. Thanks

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Fishing just to enjoy fishing. I can respect that. Glad you enjoyed your trip out here.

In another life I fished the South Holston in TN and, if I remember correctly, Beaver Creek? Beaver somethin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts