Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at ion vs ice gator. Anyone use both? Other brands? Anyone use either? Let me hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've used the ion, very fast and the battery seems to hold up well, fished a weekend on one charge. hope this helps a little.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
lot of threads on this matter if you would just use the search button gawd dammit!!! Frickin rookies!!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

If you would have come down earlier last year at the Crack I would have let you try my Gator out...love it!!!!

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Andy do a search on ice shanty.com even more threads there...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
If I had to do it all over again here is how I would go...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273421.0

Drills and batteries are mainstream could find replacements on Craigslist...ease in swapping batteries to pop off and store since one issue is batteries and cold the xc 4amp hour battery is good to zero and below...half the weight of the Gator...I can use the drill in the off season...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This will be My 6th season with an "ICE GATOR" 8" electric.
I am still impressed with the speed with which it drills.
Yeah, You won't save too much weight over a gas auger (Unless, you go with ICE GATOR'S Lithium ion battery pack, as I did last season)...
BUT, no gas fumes, leakage, stink, pulling the cord, etc....
I have drilled 30-40 holes at Chatty through 15" of HARD ice with no power loss whatsoever... And Chatty has some HARD ass ice....
You can even fit it with a Lazer Auger Bit and increase Your drilling speed.
And, you just push the button to start drilling..
I'm sure that the "ION" brand of aauger works just as slick, also...

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
With my Gator Lith I got the 20ft extension cord with it. I can remove the battery pak, keep it in the sled and hook the cord up for operation. Can save that much more weight off the auger!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
Electric baloney. Batteries, cords, blech- When I fire up the big 10" Im somebody! Nothing like the smell of 2-stroke in the morning-

As long as its got gas it will drill and drill and drill Meet you up at 11-mile on 32" of the hardest ice this side of the Arctic. See what happens. End of story.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Electric baloney. Batteries, cords, blech- When I fire up the big 10" Im somebody! Nothing like the smell of 2-stroke in the morning-

As long as its got gas it will drill and drill and drill Meet you up at 11-mile on 32" of the hardest ice this side of the Arctic. See what happens. End of story.
To each... His own....
Nuff said.

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts

I'll take that challenge!!! :biggrin1: My Gator has been on Granby with thick ice, on the Mile with 36 inches of ice...took a lickin and it kept on tickin!!!!
and if it does ever fail I still have my Strikemaster 10" sittin up in my shed!!!:biggrin1:

·
Registered
902 Posts
When I fire up the big 10" Im somebody! Nothing like the smell of 2-stroke in the morning.
x2 bring back memories of my sand dune days. i pop a bunch of extra with my strikemaster just because its that much fun! plus its fun to see who will be the first idiot to step in a hole running for a jaw jacker! only downside to the strike master is those dang rubber bands for the covers.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lot of threads on this matter if you would just use the search button gawd dammit!!! Frickin rookies!!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

If you would have come down earlier last year at the Crack I would have let you try my Gator out...love it!!!!
I was at the crack a bunch, you were never there. Lol, Zman, slayer, hobie and a bunch of others I forgot.

I was thinking of ways to lighten the load around metro lakes, I still have gas 10" for the mtns. The Ion seems to be a more polished unit. Ice gator seems to have customer support issues, if you should need support. Not what I expect out of a $600 unit.

After reading and looking at the Clam unit, I think I might try that with my lazer 6" blade for around town. I already own a whole set of 18volt Milwaukee lithium ion tools and now they are making 5.0ah xc batteries for them! Plus the tools have a 5 year warranty, and 3 year battery warranty. Got my at HD and have already traded a battery once. No problems whatsoever.

For the $69 cost to try it out, I think going this route beats dropping 6 bills.

Thanks for all the info!

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
I was at the crack a bunch, you were never there. Lol, Zman, slayer, hobie and a bunch of others I forgot.

I was thinking of ways to lighten the load around metro lakes, I still have gas 10" for the mtns. The Ion seems to be a more polished unit. Ice gator seems to have customer support issues, if you should need support. Not what I expect out of a $600 unit.

After reading and looking at the Clam unit, I think I might try that with my lazer 6" blade for around town. I already own a whole set of 18volt Milwaukee lithium ion tools and now they are making 5.0ah xc batteries for them! Plus the tools have a 5 year warranty, and 3 year battery warranty. Got my at HD and have already traded a battery once. No problems whatsoever.

For the $69 cost to try it out, I think going this route beats dropping 6 bills.

Thanks for all the info!
I was there with Z and Hobie that day...you passed fuzzy and I when you guys got there late!!! I waited for you as long as I could!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was there with Z and Hobie that day...you passed fuzzy and I when you guys got there late!!! I waited for you as long as I could!
LOL, that's not the only time I fished the crack bro. We'll kick it this winter hombre. The bite was just getting good, damn fair weather fisherman. :p

·
P I K E
10,116 Posts
LOL, that's not the only time I fished the crack bro. We'll kick it this winter hombre. The bite was just getting good, damn fair weather fisherman. :p
wait for andy...get home to my honey........wait for Andy...get home to my honey...................................you lose bud!!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Only thing that worries me is you left with colonative...
lol role playing good pilot bad male flight attendant with rc planes no doubt...I'mmmmm innnn aaaaaaa staaaaalll puuulll baaacck ooonnn the sttttiiiicccckkkkk!....as Fuzzy is pushing a drink cart...announcing coffee, tea oe ME!!!...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts