Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a vid of a Lithium Lazer cut 100+ holes thru 8" of ice.

That thing costs $600 and a spare batt is $250. Hmmm-

And it's all whiny like a Prius--

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have the 8" ion and it works for me. I think it's lighter than the gator by 2lbs and the lazer by 6lbs and it fits better in my sled since it's shorter. It's sized smaller which is perfect for 99% of the time; however, it comes standard with an extension which makes it longer than the other's on the market. Best of both worlds. Mine drills faster than the test model in the video but maybe not as fast as the icegator. I pop a lot of holes and never felt slowed down. I've used the auger in Northpark in something like -20s F with no issues and didn't do anything special to the battery other than keep wool hat on it. This is my 2nd year owning it and I ice fish probably 6-7 months out of the year. I certainly never go back to gas. Just no reason to.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I have the 8" ion and it works for me. I think it's lighter than the gator by 2lbs and the lazer by 6lbs and it fits better in my sled since it's shorter. It's sized smaller which is perfect for 99% of the time; however, it comes standard with an extension which makes it longer than the other's on the market. Best of both worlds. Mine drills faster than the test model in the video but maybe not as fast as the icegator. I pop a lot of holes and never felt slowed down. I've used the auger in Northpark in something like -20s F with no issues and didn't do anything special to the battery other than keep wool hat on it. This is my 2nd year owning it and I ice fish probably 6-7 months out of the year. I certainly never go back to gas. Just no reason to.
I'm not posting to hate on ION, ****, I'm buying one soon too. But those vids are pretty kool...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Really like My ICE GATOR..
Going on 5 years old this year.
Updated to the "lithium ion" battery last year...
Made the unit about 9 lbs lighter.
Best part is NO GASSY mess, spills, containers, etc....

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Real ice fishermen smell like gas! :embarassed:

JK, I'm looking forward to using my Lazer later this week. :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
You aren't getting any younger slayer

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I wanted an Ion, then I bought the clam plate and saved myself $500. I still have my 10" gas for lakers and didn't spend a boatload of money and yet still have something lighter than **** for metro lakes. Best of all worlds.

Seems the general opinion is the ion has a better build quality and much better customer service.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
That gator did rip through some ice. I think you'll be happy with the ION though. I move around a lot and like the lower weight & size.
Oh yeah, trust me, I'm well versed on the ION. I'm a big fan. It suits me perfectly.

I couldn't care less about fishing in the hills for trout. Most of what I will be doing is plains lakes fishing, so I'm suuuuper good with the ION....

That Gator is a beast though! LOL

1 - 20 of 136 Posts