Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which in your opinion is the way to go. I have a Minnikota but on long days or vacation I run out of battery. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gas motors are faster and more powerfull.

Electric motors are quieter and cleaner.

Some places dont allow gas motors. I think each type of motor has its benefits. I think a reliable gas motor is better for big lakes.

d

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Electric=Cheaper to buy
Gas=better in wind or rough water
Electric=cleaner
Gas=easy to carry spare gas
Electric=never hesitates to start
Gas=mixing oil and fuel
Electric=batteries can be recharged cheaply
Gas=too many parts to break
Electric=quieter
Gas=can't be bow mounted

Just a few pros and cons to each. As a matter of expense and the fact that I don't often fish big waters I use a minn-kota myself

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Also there are alot of lakes in Colorado that dont allow gasoline engines and are electric only so if you have electric you can go there and use your trolling motor if its electric.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I like to have both. On windy days I'll use the autopilot to steer and the gas to give it the power to break through the waves. I have a 24 volt system and it lasts pretty long if you use the dual combination. The key for electric is good batteries and charging them as soon as you get off the water.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyones input. I have a 12 volt system but am looking to add an onboard charger with another battery to increase my amps. Cabelas' Prosport 12 put out 12 amps and will distribute on demand different amps to the battery in the most need. With a couple of battey gauges. If I hook 2 batteries in parallel will I need only one gauge for them? I believe that to be true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts