Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The budget is beginning to loosen up a little around here and a boat is in my near future. Looking at many of the newer generation fish finders and WOW... Tons of pretty incredible features.

The one that looks like it will fit the budget is the Lowrance HDS 5 (Gen 2). Found a few used ones for around 400-450. Anyone have one of these? Like it? Worth the money? Recommend?

I'll be using my current Lowrance as my real-time grapher, but would LOVE to have that navigation system and plotter on the HDS... Would be pretty wicked with all the big waters around here.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
The budget is beginning to loosen up a little around here and a boat is in my near future. Looking at many of the newer generation fish finders and WOW... Tons of pretty incredible features.

The one that looks like it will fit the budget is the Lowrance HDS 5 (Gen 2). Found a few used ones for around 400-450. Anyone have one of these? Like it? Worth the money? Recommend?

I'll be using my current Lowrance as my real-time grapher, but would LOVE to have that navigation system and plotter on the HDS... Would be pretty wicked with all the big waters around here.
I have the HDS-5 Gen 1 unit and i love it!! The GPS and Sonar combo is awesome...

Not that you care but they make an Ice Pak so you can use it through the ice as well :)(Or a personal pontoon boat etc)

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Do you want the sidescan feature? If not, you would probably be better served with the Elite series because that's a cheaper unit. If you want the sidescan/downscan with the HDS5, you'll have to shell out more dollars for the transducer, unless the used prices you quoted include the LSS transducer for sidescan/downscan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a Lowrance fan...I have a 3 year old model M68c with GPS...and a Flasher screen for Ice fishing (to which the ice transponder just arrived yesterday)....

Resolution is great, temp accurate, structure definition is excellent....I used the flasher screen last time out and it seemed to work well although I need a lot more stick time to become proficient in reading it....

The GPS function is real accurate, I originally used it on the Pacific in SoCal and would put me on the any Buoy I selected with 25ft, a real life savior in fog. I use it now to mark structure for ice season as this will be my first year on the hard water in Colorado...

The sidescan feature and plotter is a great feature...does draw more power thou if u r strictly running off a battery....

I would get the most advanced feature rich unit I could afford....never in my life did I think I would be using the Flasher screen 3 years ago for ice fishing....and now I am buying a Shanty!...

Let us know which one u pick I would be curious to get your impressions once u have it in play...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I also have an HDS 5 gen 1 which I use for BOTH My boat and Ice fishing... Once you use GPS to mark Your "hot spots" You'll be lost without it....
I recommend LOWRANCE very highly now that They have worked the bugs out of Thier transducers...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas. Seems like the 5 is within the budget... But when you jump to the larger screens like the 7-9-10-12 units the price doubles a couple times. :)

The fellas on the TN forum who have HDS units all tell me to save up and get the larger screen unit. 5" does seem a bit small if you're splitting the screen in 3 or even 4 to utilize all the features, but its bigger than my x67c which works in split screen mode just fine while cruising on a Jon boat.

I'll have to shop carefully and spend wisely. I don't want to get something I'll be unhappy with. The HDS 12 "Touch" is like the Mercedes... I can afford a used Honda. LOL!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Tony was joking around with ya, but I'd wait and see what you can find on the used boat you'll be purchasing. Might already have whatever you need.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
True. I'm looking at a boat right now. Guy from the forum is selling it.

17' Aluminum, 40 HP Johnson, newly tuned up, trailer, 2 live wells, 2 main seats, two deck seats, a foot-controlled bow mounted trolling motor, and he said he would throw in a skimmer transducer for my Lowrance ice unit. No electronics, but a good solid boat. $900.

I'm inclined to take the deal. The seller is a very active contributor, solid guy... Upgraded to a bigger boat last year.

Seems like a good deal to me. It's not a pretty boat... but it looks to be a work horse. What you think?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at the options available to me, it looks like the Elite 7-HDI is probably going to be the better option. Not as feature-rich, no side scan and no touch screen, but it has Insight lake mapper and intuitive waypoint control, a down scan feature, and a very nice 2D sonar on a 7 inch screen. The 7" HDI is less money than the 5" HDS model.

Seems like this would be a better unit for what I need... The GPS with Insight is the main feature I want, and while sidescan would be nice, a larger screen at lower cost is probably a better choice for me personally.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
yeah Owen the Elite 7 would be perfect for you! I have one as a bow unit and LOVE IT!!! Easy to use, good clean graphics and I love the down scan for what I do! Pull the plug and quit chokin the chickin...and no Hobie I wasn't jokin, it has everything he needs and I would deliver it for him!!! :thumb: I love Tennessee and want to go back bad!!! :llama::llama::llama:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! You'd be most welcome here. Bring my boat and I'll take you out to all the boat waypoints I've been researching. People out here are fairly free with their GPS cords... Just have to be hyper-observant on YouTube videos and such. I've seen guys catching big fish from boats out of casting range and I've printed out maps of the area and marked the locations.

Bring me that boat, Tony. :)

If he would take 2,500 for it, I would somehow find $2,500. Might have to beg borrow and steal, but I would find it. :)

And it doesn't have to be a delivery. Any time you want to cone out here, you've got a spot to stay.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
LOL!!! THX!!! I would love to try the Tennessee River north of Chattanooga!!! Beautiful looking water! I do know of some spots north of Lebanon off Cherokee Dock Rd on the Cumberland River, huge drum...Reba also lives right there!!! ::) Also would love to find the Muskie waters, have a buddy that went down there for'em a couple years ago and they caught some monsters!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thumb:

Next time you are out this way, I know where we can get into some cats of epic proportion... Hopefully by then, I'll have a boat and a HDI. ;)

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny.

I know where to catch them. Read above post on how I know where to catch them. I'll post some pix here in a minute of Kingston City park. 55 minutes from my house.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These are all from Watts Bar Lake and the surrounding river system. Top two are from the point at Kingston City Park, the last two are right off the Concord boat dock at Ft. Loudon. These are members of the Tennessee fishing forum.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Videos like this one... Guy shows his GPS cords in the video. Lots of good stuff out there... Just gotta pay attention. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts