Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Cutthroat said:
From what I've seen of them, the vertical flasher on the side, and the circular are very much real-time. The unit I'm getting also has a gps, so even if not absolutely perfect as an ice fishing flasher, it should be more versatile than any Vexilar flasher (and all for $105) - amazing.
I have an x-67c that I bought late last year and I like it because I can use it on a boat or my pontoon as well (in a normal graph mode). The flasher works the same as a vexilar. I like the display because you can read it in the sunlight very well. $105 is a steal I would buy that in a heartbeat. How did you get such a good price?

I really like vexilars as well because I was used to my friends, but once you get used to the controls and settings I think they are the same. But with that said if I was going to buy one for ice fishing only I would buy the vexilar because it is a little more simple to use.

· Registered
935 Posts
Abomb,
Well, I got a good price because, as I said earlier, I got the B&W (noncolor) version. They have two or three noncolor versions of the same finder, with gps (m52 S/GPS, M56 S/MAP, and probably some others. They are essentially a non-color version of the x67/m68 models, and it was a special purchase by Cabelas. I got the m52 S/GPS model (the m56 S/MAP model has a basemap of us waters built-in. The one I am getting doesn't have the map, but records and finds waypoints. I figure I don't need the mapping, since I really just want to mark where I catch fish, etc... I don't need a digital map to know I'm in the middle of a lake.

It helped that I bought a bunch of stuff at cabelas during a grand opening awhile back and got a $25 rebate cash card to spend in the future, and also got a $20 preferred customer rebate. Their price for the unit was $150, so I bought it with the rebate cards - $105. I call that a deal. I'm not sure how visible the single-color display will be in bright light, but it's got the same operating temperature range as specified for the X67, and the same set of sonar features + the gps. I think I'm really going to like it. I wanted to use it in my boat during spring/summer as well, and like the idea of having real-time flasher and chart recording for all-around flexibility.

I hope it works as well as I imagine it will.

G

·
Cutthroat said:
Anyone use a Lowrance X67c or M68c? 
I used the X67 extensively last year and thought it was a great unit. the flasher feature works very well. The color readings on the graph helped me identify fish sizes and therefore species in some cases.

Over all I give the unit an 8.5.

· Registered
935 Posts
That's the information I was looking for. I have heard people say they really aren't real-time, but these are not typically the people who actually use them. People who use them seem pretty happy and say the flasher-mode returns are real-time. Only complaint I've really seen that everyone agrees on is that the flasher screen is smaller than a vexilar or marcum display - and dudes with bad eyes don't seem to like that much.

· Registered
509 Posts
I use a Lowrance X65. Always just on the boat. I found on the net a battery pack and transducer combo with a case and unit holder to use for ice fishing this year. This will replace my fishing buddy unit. The buddy is a piece of junk, it's only good for finding your depth. I can't count the times I've been seeing fish or bringing them in and the buddy doesn't even show fish on the screen.
With my Lowrance, I can also use one of the features on the radar which is a Vexlar. My cost of the portable kit was $90. A heck of a lot better than buying a Vexlar system new.

· Registered
22 Posts
FYI for the guys without a vexilar yet

Gander and BassPro have the vexilar units on sale (fl8 and fl18). From my experience, this is a rare occurrance. Combined with your one time 10% gander discount for being a member, unless you find a good one used, it's an unbeatable deal.

Tom

· Registered
905 Posts
I love my Marcum LX-3. You can zoom in at any level, not just the bottom 5-6ft. Makes it great for suspended Kokes. I even hang it over the side of my boat, if I'm jigging Eyes. Might send it in for the color code update (I think its $49) direct at Marcum. Supposed to make it a little crisper. The new LX-3's & 5's already have this. Lots of good units out there. You really can't go wrong these days.
Dan

· Registered
16 Posts
I tried to use my x67c for the second time last weekend and had a couple of problems. First was the amount of interference from other flashers. Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce it? It was also a problem for my dads vex and my buddies Marcum 5. We tried them all separately and they all picked up some interference. We were at least 50yrds from any other fishermen.
Second I bought the ice machine and the iceducer just will not hang straight and level any ideas there?

· Registered
935 Posts
Grizz, the x67 and m68 Lowrance, and their similar models (m52, m56, etc..) have realtime flasher modes. I have the m52, now, and the flasher is definitely realtime. In addition, it has a vertical flasher off to the right of the graphing display that is also realtime. In the vertical mode, it definitely give you a better bar to turn the rate up a bit. In circular flasher mode, I didn't notice as much different when adjusting the rate.

· Registered
146 Posts
I have had a Fl-8 for about 6 years and do not remember the last time I did not catch my limit at Granby,even if it was a 2 or 4 fish limit. In the past tournment 2 of us caught 40 to 50 fish in two days due to the Vex and sitting put and watching the screen. No snowmobiles either.

· Registered
298 Posts
I just bought the Lowrance x67c ice machine just this year and really like it . Certainly helps in catching fish. I do not like the arm they give you for holding the transducer its hard to use and set straight. I talked with guy at Sportsman about it and he suggested getting the float that the vexilars, use online at their website. Sometimes I just let the cord hang down in the hole to get away from using that crazy arm.

· Registered
935 Posts
Awhile ago, Talo suggested using a pice of a kids "noodle" (used for swimming/splashing around) - sounds like a good approach. Cut a pice off, and put a slid down the side to tuck the cable into, and I'm sure that would work for you.

· Registered
459 Posts
The Vexilar/Marcum float is hard to beat. I've been fishing with guys who have a standard transducer that can't pick up their jig. You have to figure, if it pointing a few degrees off in 25 feet of water...it won't get your jig.

I have a Vexilar FL-8....love it.

· Registered
16 Posts
I bought the ice machine as well but i got the pakage from cabelas that came with the foam float i think its the stiffness of the cord that keeps it from hanging right. The transducer is real time. I had it up at Dowdy and was able to pick up my tiny jig with a waxie

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.