Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at the lake somewhere near sunrise, parked at Witchers, and set a foot to Deer Island. I set up north east of the the smaller rock formation that sits along side of Deer Island. Fished in 90 FOW and dropped my jigs about 20 ft under the ice as well as my jiggiung machine. Caught and echoed zero fish. My jigging box is a complete failure. I was able to realize this after some old man and his wife set up next to us with a real jig machine that actually jigs a rod up and down. Mine is just a box with a windsheild wiper moter mounted inside. I hooked up line to the arm and it just rotates like a slow clock. Definately not the right way to engineer one of these. Now I'm literally mad with wonder trying to figure how to build a better one because with a good design the fish will come. The old man along side of me proved that theory as I watched him hammer the salmon. After I realized that i was not going to catch kokanee withouit the right tools I headed for a wind break next to Deer Isle to fish for trout. Set up in 10-25 FOW and only spotted two fish. Finished of the day in the North shore in 30 FOW as once again no fish located. Tough day for most a the lake. Not many boasted catches. It was very sunny and very bright under the ice which seems to make them a bit skittish.

·
Registered
117 Posts
we mounted a windshield wiper motor to a royal crest milk box and it works great. our you using lead core line? or using a heavy weight on your line? was it overcast? did you shovel in front of your box to give maximum effect?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was wonderfully clear that day and I did shovel an area east of the "box". Mine also is erected with an old Royal Crest Dairy box with an attatched windshield wiper motor inside. The motor has a "knob" that sticks out from it and when plugged in it rotates in a circle, approximately four inches in diameter. What do I need to do to get the up/down jigging motion. There must be an additional piece that I am missing in order to transfer the circular motion of the motor to an up/down motion on a rod??

·
Registered
117 Posts
hmmmm. I just used the wiper arm and tied the line to that. I'd say it jigs a good 12inches or more. What are you tying your line to? If it was longer, would you have more action? say using a kids fishing rod or something.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I said before, I'm attatching the line to the motor spindle itself. This guy that day on the lake had an ice rod hooked up to some kind of arm that jigged the pole just like a winshield blade. This rig fevorously jigged about two feet with a short delay to alow the cowbell to drop. Also, about how deep are the cowbells supsended usually?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts