Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the canyon and spinney res on Saturday. Started out at the canyon. Fishi was great. They were hitting dries, hoppers and midges. I always do we there on my candy cane. It's a white tungsten-bead headed white with red wire midge and it seems to kill all over. Lots of bugs flying around including tricos and caddis. The highlight of the day came around two when we headed to spinney. Normally by this time it'd be too windy to fish it but the fishing gods were smiling on us that day. It was pretty much nice out all day. As soon as we got there we noticed all the surface action. We initially tried for a while with a few indicator rigs and several different dries and streamers until one of my buddy's dries just got totally smashed. I quickly threw on the same fly and got to work. I've never caught so many trout at spinney. Nor have I ever seen the dry fly action like on Saturday. We were wadding from shore in about three feet of water and they were hitting all around us. The guys in the tubes weren't getting **** and you could see them all inching closer to the shore where we were. It's awesome catching trout on dries in a res especially when they're spinney trout and they're all like 18+. Two trout took me into my backing. We were catching trout left and right until we had to leave around six. Couldn't have asked for a better spinney trip. It helped to remind me how picky spinney trout can be, especially with dries. It took a lot of experimentation to find out what they wanted. The fly that worked had just one slight variation from another one I had used previously but for whatever reason it killed and the other one wasn't touched.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I recently had my first trip to 11 mile and Spinney. It was my first belly boat trip too. My friend pulled a few good trout on 11 mile. He almost caught his biggest rainbow ever but that got off. He caught a pike on 11 mile too. I had no luck i had a pike come right up to the belly, it follow my buck tail jig with a green Mr. twister attached. Our other friends fly fished 11 mile they caught 1 a piece. We switched over to spinney and our friends set me up for fly fishing. I was skunked once again. We had only one hookup on the fly's at Spinney.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Put a #8 black foam beetle near the ring and see what happens...

Only a few dryflyers at SpinSpin and the rest missing out..

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put a #8 black foam beetle near the ring and see what happens...

Only a few dryflyers at SpinSpin and the rest missing out..
Yup. It's kinda funny. You'll see fish crashing the surface all over and everyone's still got their indicators on not catching anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts