Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Elevenmile Canyon

694 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  spudman 
#1 ·
Fished (flyfishing) the upper part of the canyon today. Wind was gusting pretty bad and the air temp was around upper 40's. Started at around 10 am and fished with a 2 fly rig, 5x 9"leader with 6x flourocarbon tippet. Top fly was a red midge and the bottom fly was a olive/brown midge pupa that I tie. Got a couple of 12-14" fish in the deeper holes (2 ft) right away on the pupa. Lost my rig after about 30 min on a snag. Retied with a peach egg pattern on top and the pupa on bottom. Caught a nice (16") RB in bright mating colors on the egg pattern, in the same hole. After 2 more fish like that fishing shut down so I moved upstream. At around 12pm the fish moved into the riffles and shallow (1 ft or less) runs,they were definitely feeding but couldnt get them to hit consistantly,tried several different flies and most caught at least 1 fish. The flies were:#22 FB PT, #22 BWO emerger with a glass bead that I tie,Black Beauty and orange SW worm. I caught 3 fish on the BWO emerger. Lots of fish working the shallow water later in the day but had to work to get them on. At one point I was fishing to about 12 activly feeding fish in 1 ft of water but couldnt get a hit. The wind was wicked all day. Wind was causing white caps on the water!Ended up fishing only about 3 hrs because of the wind,not to mention the snooty fish. Good day I had about 300 yrds of the river to myself. I saw a huge fish of about 24" (for the canyon) by the second bridge from the top,will have to look for him next time I'm up there.

See less See more
#3 ·
Spud,

Good to hear that the big boy is still there. I did not see him at all last year but did the two years previous. Let me tell you something, he's a LOT bigger than 24".

Sounds like your day was about the same as mine last weekend. Hey, it only gets better from here!

#4 ·
Mustang I thought about fishing above 11 mile but the water was too low. If the water is less than 80cfs the fish tend not to move up unless they were trapped there by falling waterlevels. The trapped fish tend to get pounded. I will definitely fish it if the flow is 50cfs for at least a couple of days. Last year I helped a guy bring in a 28" Brown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.