Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orginally we were gonna hit Antero, but decided to hit the E-mile after Mitch (the Cajun) had to work late last night. Was gonna go do some shooting this afternoon, but passed on that to with the wind. Working up next years elk loads!! ;D Mitch's second ice fishing trip and he took me to school. :D He got 8bows, lost 2 (1 thanks to my superior gaffing skills or lack of :p), and had a bunch of hits. I caught 3, lost 1, and had 8 other hits. Most were sight fishing in 15 feet of water. Went to the same spot as yesterday but moved closer to shore after no action there. He kept some for tonights supper. Wind started in about 9. We fished from 7-noon. Mitch has pictures hes gonna post in a while.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Glad to hear you found the fish. Bummer about the wind keeping you from shooting this afternoon. Fishing in the morning , shooting in the afternoon - I would call that a good day indeed!
I was thinking about hitting the mile this morning, but with the wind forecast and the windy conditions here in Colorado Springs I decided to stay home and run errands.

niteskies

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Jeff, thank you for another fun day on the ice. My success is due to having an excellent teacher. I fried the fish tonight, Cajun style and they were outstanding. It's the only way I will cook the slimers from now on. Here are a few pictures from today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is Jeff's Eagle on top of the power pole.

Dinner!

Uploaded with ImageShack.usr!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot about the bald eagle. He's been in that same spot in Lake George for the past two weeks, fishin on the Platte. Those fish look good. It's all how you cook them. ;D

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Great looking vitals there! I have to ask how you cooked them? I'm trying to get my boys into eating fish. They might go for something like that!

Jim

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
baetisrun1 said:
Great looking vitals there! I have to ask how you cooked them? I'm trying to get my boys into eating fish. They might go for something like that!

Jim
Thanks Alpine!

Jim, here is the ole family secret.

Filet and get all the bones out. If the filets are big, I cut them into small pieces.
Coat them good with hot sauce (Louisiana brand or Tabasco) and also a little yellow mustard.(enough for a lite coating) This gives you a good flavor and the fish doesn't come out hot. Sometimes I skip the mustard.

Run the pieces through "New Orleans Seasoned Fish Fry" with a little garlic powder, onion powder, and season all added. The fish fry can be found in the seafood section at most of the local stores. It's in a blue and yellow bag. After that, drop it in the grease. I fry at 350 - 375. It's like eatting candy. My picky daughter and wife love it. Let me know how you like it. I fry all my fish the same way.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I learned from Dad the best teacher. ;D I fished that lake from 1988-1998 before I finally caught a fish there. Wasn't seriously though. More interested in other things back then.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
I learned from Dad the best teacher. ;D I fished that lake from 1988-1998 before I finally caught a fish there. Wasn't seriously though. More interested in other things back then.
We first met in 1990, I know what you were interested in back then. :D ;D

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my reading of the Colorado Fishing Regs. you cannot use a gaff or tail snare at Granby, Grand, or Taylor Res. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If they get gaffed there dead and going in the frying pan. >:D

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
heather said:
I am sure that you were not actually using a gaff as they are illegal in the state of colorado last time I checked
Welcome, Heather!

Where did you check? Might just want to check again. You could be wrong. ;)

This comes up about once a year.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the support albow. I did check the Fishing regs. booklet and those are the only 3 lakes I seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts