Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fin chasers. I just wanted to share my observations from Elevenmile Reservoir when I was up there on 10/8/2020. First off it was an absolutely beautiful day with no wind until about 2:30pm and it was very light. The lake is experiencing a severe algae bloom. To the point where the fish finders were mistaken large clumps as fish. The goal was trophy pike with large swim baits but we couldn't hook into any no matter what we tried. We switched to chasing trout and the bite was very slow. We were using white HD Trout lures, trout magnet orange jigs, salmon eggs and good ole worms. We caught 5 bows with all of them being under 20 inches. If you don't want to deal with the algae head over to the east side. It was 3 to 2 for the east side of the lake. Other anglers were telling us that Antero is a better choice for trout, both browns and bows. We also saw some deer swimming across the lake. I thought this was pretty cool. On to Lake Pueblo next week for fall walleyes!

·
Registered
16,654 Posts
Fishing is very tough when the lake turns over.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just conclude a 9 day fishing trip to South Park, 2 days at Antero and 7 at the Mile. First 8 days were not noteworthy, many fish in the 16 inch range but only 2 or 3 at 20 inches. I attribute the mediocre results to warm temps and flat water. That changed the last day, Sunday, when a stiff wind greeted us at the Mile along with 10 degrees colder temps. The wind increased as the morning progressed chasing us off around 10:30am. Three of us in the boat caught 5 fish: one at 1 at 16 inches, 1 at 20 inches, 2 at 22 inches (4.5/4.75 lbs.), and 1 at 26.5 inches and 7.5 lbs. (see pic). The changed conditions seemed to turn on the bigger fish. Our method was crawdad imitations.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just conclude a 9 day fishing trip to South Park, 2 days at Antero and 7 at the Mile. First 8 days were not noteworthy, many fish in the 16 inch range but only 2 or 3 at 20 inches. I attribute the mediocre results to warm temps and flat water. That changed the last day, Sunday, when a stiff wind greeted us at the Mile along with 10 degrees colder temps. The wind increased as the morning progressed chasing us off around 10:30am. Three of us in the boat caught 5 fish: one at 1 at 16 inches, 1 at 20 inches, 2 at 22 inches (4.5/4.75 lbs.), and 1 at 26.5 inches and 7.5 lbs. (see pic). The changed conditions seemed to turn on the bigger fish. Our method was crawdad imitations.
That is awesome! How was Antero? Folks are telling me the browns are hitting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Antero was a little more consistent in terms of numbers (11 Mile can be finicky). However, I caught smaller fish at Antero biggest at 18 inches and, of course, weeds, weeds and more weeds at Antero.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was thinking of another trip down but weather is getting a little cool at night. The trips this year did produce much from the boat. 5 lber at dust from shore, caught our limit of bows from shore in Aug after trolling all day for 0. Did see a fellow camper pull in a 6.5 lb on power baits from camp ground. no pike

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was thinking of another trip down but weather is getting a little cool at night. The trips this year did produce much from the boat. 5 lber at dust from shore, caught our limit of bows from shore in Aug after trolling all day for 0. Did see a fellow camper pull in a 6.5 lb on power baits from camp ground. no pike
Was thinking the same thing before the ice starts to form. I've had a lot of success in the past from the shore. Believe it or not a gold pistol pete from a bubble has been the most successful for me from shore at Elevenmile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was thinking the same thing before the ice starts to form. I've had a lot of success in the past from the shore. Believe it or not a gold pistol pete from a bubble has been the most successful for me from shore at Elevenmile.
I use a gold and brown crockadile spoon 3/4oz real caught some nice bows. I have a utube post 11 mile bow at dust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts