Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hunting Unit 25 & 26 near Yampa in the Flat Tops Wilderness...staying out there in a tent for the whole time...if anyone wants to buy an OTC bull elk tag, grab your gear, and hunt with me, then come on! I will be hunting with 3 other people; we are all staying in our individual tents. We drive in (assuming the road is still passable in October) and hike the last 1/2 mile to our camping area. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fordo, your places are most likely worthy of keeping secret! This is the first time I've hunted this particular section of the Flat Tops, so we'll see how it goes. Was a ton of sign when we went scouting in August. 4 weeks to go until 2nd rifle!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Let us know how you do I will be up their 3rd season for the 19th year. If it hasn't snowed you can hunt 231 around the Mandells or Maggies Nipple with the OTC tag Good Luck

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chief, thanks and good luck (and skill) to you as well. I will look up the areas you referenced on the map. I have a bear tag, antlerless for 25/26 and OTC elk so it's good to know that unit 231 is OTC elk.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Their is a Bear that travels along the ag ditch in Area 26 near Gardner Res. Does are everywhere in 26 and 25 most active late in the day.
Kings Mtn is a good spot for Bulls if you have the legs for the hike..

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a bear walk down my hunting partner's tracks last year near Ram's Horn Res...I tracked it until I got about 100 yards from it then asked myself WTH I was doing, since I didn't have a bear tag. I hunted near Gardner last year; a lot of bedding areas around it. Hopefully, I will fill a tag or two this year. I have the legs, perhaps just not the lungs ;)

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Good luck. We are hunting 28 and 18. Our group rented the same townhouse for five weeks again in Fraser. It is amazing the deals you can get this time of the year!!!!

I have a 2nd season buck tag, a 3rd season bull tag and 4th season cow tag. Kelly gets us started with a 1st season elk tag. Jeremys son Taylor is already on the board with a nice 5X5 archery bull.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck. We are hunting 28 and 18. Our group rented the same townhouse for five weeks again in Fraser. It is amazing the deals you can get this time of the year!!!!

I have a 2nd season buck tag, a 3rd season bull tag and 4th season cow tag. Kelly gets us started with a 1st season elk tag. Jeremys son Taylor is already on the board with a nice 5X5 archery bull.
Excellent!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know how you do I will be up their 3rd season for the 19th year. If it hasn't snowed you can hunt 231 around the Mandells or Maggies Nipple with the OTC tag Good Luck
Chief, I looked at the Mandall Lakes, Maggies Nipple, and King Mountain(s) and all those areas look great, especially Maggies Nipple since it is close to their winter range. Thanks for the great info, and I think I'll plan a hike and a couple of overnighters in the small tent into Maggies Nipple area. Looks like the best way to get to it is 906/157 north of Yamcolo and its to the East of the road, unless you have a better way?

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I did, and what I saw where.

Noel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts