Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hunting the 1st elk only season next weekend? I will be hunting unit 12 with a either sex tag.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bought a left over 3rd season buck tag for unit 45 and a few other areas so it will be a first. Also put in 9 days archery elk last month and didn't get a close enough shot. First 6 days I only heard a few bugles before light, finally hit a lucky day full moon night, had 6 bulls screaming before 7am. After an hour of calling back and fourth two of the bulls both 5 points came in together but winded my partner who was 70 yards from them. One bull sounded huge, we tried calling and stalking until we got within 100 yards, and then he vanished without a trace didn't even hear a twig break, those things aren't called gost of the forest for nothing.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
has anyone here hunted area 7 or 8? thats north of Chambers Lake...i was thinking about trying it out next year, i fish up there alot on the Little Laramie and have seen some decent elk taken out of there...but have never scouted it or hunted there...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hunt elk around Cameron Pass.  Between my hunting partners and me we stumble into a bull every year.  It was my turn this year and I got a 5pt with my bow :)  The last couple of years we've pulled 2 6x6's and a 5x5 - plenty of elk up there.  I had a herd run acrossed the road in front of me along the Laramie river road last weekend.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Awesome bull! ive known a few people to take some nice bulls out of the cameron pass area, and ive seen some decent ones hauled out of area 7...so i think ill scout that one out pretty hard for next year. ive been hunting down near south fork, and have seen some nice ones there too...but have yet to pull the trigger on one. last year all we saw were deer (some really nice bucks) but none of us had tags....it was good to be able to practice some stalks though. i have been trying to get one with a pistol so my range is limited to a little over what you could do with a bow...

once again though...nice job, thats an awesome bull!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We hunted dead man pass alot of years in area 8 lots of elk and deer back then, have not hunted it for 6 years though due the CWD. Quality of animal should be better due to limited hunting pressure because of the CWD.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
basshunter said:
OATS:

Here's a 360 bull from 2 years ago.  I don't have a pic of the 6x6 from last year, but it scored ~ 300.

You took that at (around) Cameron Pass? Thats a great looking bull.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
My buddy killed one up there that was pretty big also....near Long Draw Road, i think it was. a 5 x 5,on the first morning of that season. beginners luck, i say.... ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts