Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went by Meeker last week for a 2 day scouting trip. Saw more elk than I can count. Around 10 bulls and some really nice bucks. We had two 5x5 bulls rite next to the car about 15 yards. Could'nt get thier picture but it was sweet. All my years hunting elk I've never seen elk that close to the dirt roads. There had to be atleast 3 bulls bugleling on one mountain next to 3 big herds. This year is going to be nice. Hopefully I fill my Bull and Buck tag for ML.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i grew up in craig and it was like that all the time before hunting season but it seems like they know when it starts. i hope you fill thoose tags. man i would rather eat elk over beef anyday

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your rite about that. But this unit is different. I've hunted other units that I scouted and they know when the season begins. Last year we bagged a 5x5 bull during rifle season and had many other oppurtunities. It's like elk paradise here. Many groups had elks hanging at camp, it felt like I was at Rocky Mountain National Park.

M

·
0 Posts
Finally it is that time of year again. Dove,Turkey, and Teal next weekend, Antelope on the First of Oct, ELK and Deer in November. Ducks,Geese Pheasant, quail coming soon. It only gets better from here. Fishing is just a way for me to pass time between hunting seasons. Good luck to all you guys and gals that are gearing up for what I consider the best time of year.
I have one more fishing trip planned for this year and then it is time for me to put up the poles till late January

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
im still yet undecided on elk this year...i didnt put in for the draw, so im limited to over the counter....but the idea of going out is sounding more and more appealing. im still trying to get one with a pistol, maybe ill give it another go this year.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i suppose a cow would be a good freezer filler this year...ill have to look and see whats availlable (if any) for the area i like...

·
Registered
829 Posts
NW Colorado has been great to me, filled 7 tags out of 9 in as many years. Now those are cow tags, but I hunt for meat. Saving preference points for both elk an deer for the big boys

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
CHRIS said:
There are still lots of leftovers available if you are interested in a cow tag.
can you find out what units have leftovers online if so can someone post a link?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts