Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't think there is an embarassing moment while fishing.  I do have one that I can think of.  How about you guys?

A couple years ago me, my gf & her friend visiting from California went to N. Sterling for a day of fishing and grilling.  It was a great morning.  Girls were sleeping, cold beer  & caught about 5 wipers and 3 cats between 7-10am.  Decided to go into the shade and fire up the grill.  Her friend just found out that it was "THAT TIME OF THE MONTH."  She couldn't leave the restroom.  My GF comes over and tells me her dilemma about coming unprepared.  I told her that the Marina should have some and to go get some there.  My GF refused to go, because she doesn't know her way around the lake.  So I sucked it up(my planned trip) and offered to go get them.  I walked in and found them.  There was 5+ different brands/styles.  I didn't know what to get.  Going off my instinct, the bigger the better.  Hahahaha.  Here I am holding this big package of pads waiting in line to pay.  Of course it was busy at the marina & 1 cashier(4 people ahead of me & looking at me all funny).  By the time I got up to the front, her friend walks in wondering why I was taking so long.  She starts laughing about what I had picked out.  Of course she goes and grabs the smallest package(tampons I assume).

I actually have a couple of more... But I don't think it would be a good idea to tell those stories...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
well note so embarassing for me except that i was embarassed to be with this guy at the time.

we had hiked into a somewhat remote access to the royale gorge on the ark it was towards the fall and we hadnt seen a soul all day and my friend just had to go and didnt want to stop fishing ( good thing i was up stream) we where mid thigh deep in the river and he just decides to let it all hang out and take care of bussiness. we were fishing just down stream from a sharp bend and big boulders, so wouldnt you know a large group of rafters come shooting out of the rapids right to my buddy. the worst part is my buddy kinda freezes up and just stands there watching them go by al 6-8 rafts some of them close enough we could have shook hands. i just tried to ignore the whole thing then, when they had gone (good thing the current was fast) i told my buddy that was why you should go atleast 100 yards from the river when you gotta "go"!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got a lot of these, but here are three favorites:

1) Caught a seagull while trolling. I was wondering why my pole was actiing so weird and when I looked up, I saw why! Just to make sure, I pulled my pole right and the bird moved right, I pulled it left and it moved left. My buddy was beside himself laughing. Luckily the bird got off before I had to cut the line.

2) High-centered my boat on a rock at Dowdy reservoir. Had to get out the oar and rock back and forth for several minutes to get us back in the water.

3) Was new at flyfishing and was busy fishing an inlet from the bow of my anchored boat. I made one cast and my line did not go forward. When I looked back, I noticed a scowling girlfriend with a elk hair caddis sticking out of her cheek. :-[

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Amazingly enough, yes. I paid dearly, however, and I remember vividly that the gifts I had to buy spanned several paychecks :'(

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hope you were fishing barbless!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
roadkill said:
hope you were fishing barbless!
Oh nooooo... that would have been way too smart. She was crying real tears as I removed the hook from her soft flesh.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
OUCH!!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
A buddy and I decided to drift down the Alleghany River in a borrowed aluminum canoe. Neither one of us had ever been in a canoe in our life. I was in the back, had no idea whatsoever that I was supposed to be doing some steering.

We got caught crossways on a big boulder, and the current almost folded the canoe in half. As it was, we popped quite a few rivets out, and had to make it to shore so we could whittle some plugs out of tree branches.

Well, we were pretty leery of rocks and fast rapids after that, and when we came to a long stretch of white water, we decided to walk the shoreline past it, leading the canoe by a rope.

As we went around a wide bend, we heard a lot of cheerful voices behind us, and looked around in time to see two canoes full of girl scouts zipping by in the main current.

We both simultaneously, without speaking a word, cast our fishing lines out into the river, as though we were fishing, so the girl scouts wouldn't think we were afraid to take the rapids. We laughed, later, because we both had the same thought at the same time.

I became a pretty experienced white water canoeist later on, but I will never forget being shamed by a handful of girl scouts on that first trip.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I have thrown off lures due to bad knots and then said horrible cuss words. A couple times a lady or kid walked by, and I turned red and said sorry.
I have broken rods by falling on them, shutting them in doors, and even had them broke while casting.
Another funny moment was when my oar broke and I went down a class 4 rapid in the Gunnison Gorge with ONE OAR. Lucky I didn't capsize.
Once I stripped to my underwear to swim out and retrieve a snagged lure, only to have two good looking girls riding horses be walking by the shore once I got on shore and cleared my eyes. I just said "hello ladies" and they laughed and walked away as I put my jeans back on. At least they didn't say "ewww gross".

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was fishing at spratt early this spring with my cousin ....i was using a jig and pig dragging it slowly on the bottom ....he had been talking about how it was to cold ......i tried to explain to him ive caught bass here when it was snowing ....i feel some tension and my line keeps going from left to right so i start bragging about how im bill dance...finally i see the fish and its pretty big so i really start in on him ...the closer the fish comes in i realize its not really moving its just going from side to side from the angle i have it hooked....it was about a 5lb frozen bass deader then a doornail .....after all that SH!t talking i hooked a dead fish on the bottom of the lake

·
Registered
107 Posts
My favorite story for embarasment is as follows. Last spring I had the unfortunate case of cutting both tendens in my index finger on my right hand. Although I am left handed, it is kind of hard to fish with your right hand in a full cast and not allowed to use it. So after 6 weeks of nothing but sitting on the couch and eating cake and pudding I can't take it any more. I spend an entire day rigging up two rods for a baitholder hook and a split shot about a foot above it. (Kind of takes a while to learn how to tie a know one handed) I pack up the car and make a few sandwiches. The next morning I wake up and leave super early and drive up to the inlet of the canal into Shadow Mountain Reservoir. Park and walk down to the edge where the water comes into the lake and sit down on the rocks with my two poles and grub. Bait up both poles, one with a worm and one with power bait, again one handed. Side note, pinch a hook into hemostats that clamp shut, then brace the hemos between your knees and it will hold the hook still so you can bait it up. YEA. So I am not fishing for 5 minutes and I get my first bite, I pick up the rod, jerk, fish on, and run backwards 20 yards and beach the fish. Set the rod down, run back and grab the fish and pull it up to shore farther. Now life here folks is as good as it gets. I have just sucsessfuly caught a fish by myself with no assistance, 1 handed. I am glowing, hooting and dancing, when I look up to see the other half dozen folks looking at me like what drug is this kid on and what is his deal? I feel kind of stupid at this stage, so I kind of hold the cast up which is buried in coats and a plastic bag so that it doesn't get infected and they all kind of shake their head like they now understand a little better but still think I am a freak. The best part of that day, was I limited out and not another sole that came and went caught a single fish. If there is a god, he was looking down on me that day and saying "kid you love this sport so much that you are willing to go through all this just to come up to the mountains and drown a worm, you deserve a great day of fishing" And that my friends is exactly what I had.
Craig

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if there is a god he/she certainly wasnt looking out for those trout that day...LOL

great story man your a diehard angle if i ever saw one i remember using that run up the bank trick when was a lil kid and wasnt strong enough to turn the reel
way to go

·
Registered
164 Posts
im gonna keep mine nice and short, went fishing with a cousin, had a big family picnic near a lake cousins first cast and my first ear piercing the whole family laughed at me as a kast master hung from my ear, damn near ripped my ear off, and they are laughing, im mentally scarred for life after that. jk

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'll add a recent one...

I post that catfish picture on the CF forum and then later log on and show some co-workers. At first they Ohh and ahhh as I scroll through a month's worth of fish pictures.

Then someone looks real close and says..."Is that hole in the crotch of your pants?"

"Um...no that is just some dirt...maybe?" I reply face redder than a beet.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
They are to many to list,

One of the worse though, I was camping several years ago, shoved the boat off shore, hopped on (off shore wind), went to the helm - no keys (they were still in the tent). Dropped anchor as quickly as possible or (in a flash), donned bathing suit, swam to shore amongst many on lookers/fishermen, walked to tent, got keys returned and swam back to boat. Sad but true.

Terre

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Well this is really stupid. Last summer I got my boat out in Chatfield and started marking tons of fish in North boat ramp cove. The fish were scattered at all depths and the water had risen from 7 to 12 feet in 2 days! I tried everything caught nothing. Some guy in another boat asked if I was marking anything and how deep. I rold him "Hell yeah" and told him how many fish on the sonar and the water being deeper.

10 minutes later I discovered my tranducer cable was loose and the sonar had reverted to "simulation mode".

Bottom line, no fish, water same depth as 2 days earlier and me being very embarassed that I actually told someone the water was deeper and the fish all over the place.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dan said:
Well this is really stupid.  Last summer I got my boat out in Chatfield and started marking tons of fish in North boat ramp cove. The fish were scattered at all depths and the water had risen from 7 to 12 feet in 2 days!  I tried everything caught nothing.  Some guy in another boat asked if I was marking anything and how deep.  I rold him "Hell yeah" and told him how many fish on the sonar and the water being deeper.

10 minutes later I discovered my tranducer cable was loose and the sonar had reverted to "simulation mode".

Bottom line, no fish, water same depth as 2 days earlier and me being very embarassed that I actually told someone the water was deeper and the fish all over the place.

Dan
Atleast you didnt lose your camera. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts