Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take a 5.5 mile hike up to Emmaline Lake yesterday. Found it on Resource Analysis Systems.

Its a really beautiful hike. The first 2/3rd's is pretty easy hiking. You hike along side a river that is full of fish. TONS of em, you just cant fish it yet. They are protected waters, bringing back the Greenbacks.

The last 1/3rd gets pretty steep. About 15 min from the top, I ran into a moose! It was standing right on the trail. I yelled at my dog to get back, and was making a lot of noise, but it just sat there on the trail looking at me. i took some pictures of it, and after about 10 min, i tried blowing a whistle to scare it off so i could go forward. it wouldnt move, not an inch. I had to climb some rocks to get around it, and once i got behind it, i noticed it had a seriously broken leg. He looked like he was in a lot of pain.

Went forward to the lake. Its AWESOME up there... great views. The water is so clear & clean. I tried EVERYTHING. I came well prepaired, as i didnt want to go home without catching fish after a long hike like that. I tried kastmasters, rooster tails, panther martins, dry flys, flys under bubbles, nymphs, several different shrimp imitations, a leech imitation (recomended by st. peters), ants, every other fly in my box, salmon eggs, powerbait. NOTHING! I am determined there are NO fish in that lake. The weather was great. I fished the inlet, the outlet, all around. NOTHING. no sign of fish either. I think Rescource Analysis Systems needs to update their info. My primary objective failed.

On my way down, i saw the moose in the EXACT same spot he was on my way up. He was laying down, and when he heard me, he struggled to get up. Took him about 5 minutes struggling to get up off his front knees. pretty sad.

I gave myself 2 hours to get down before dark but I hurt my leg as soon as i left, and it took me 4. I couldn't (and still cant) lift my right leg more than a few inches.. and because i was putting all my weight on my left foot, i got a HUGE blister 1/2 way down. I was in a ton of pain and stumbling home in the dark. I really sucked on the way down.

I called DOW and reported the moose when i got to Teds Place, not sure if their going to do anything. The State Patrol opperator said the DOW officer might call me, but i never got a call. Hopefully they "take care" of him.

All in all, it was a nice hike. But if you ask me, dont waste your time hauling up your fishing gear.

the meadow you run into about 1/2 way up:

the moose:

the lake:
[img]

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That sucks that you hiked all that way and got no fish---a lot of mountain lakes are either sterile or are off and on. The journey's worth it though. Too bad about the moose. I often carry a little .22 to discourage potential predators, but I don't think it would have helped the moose out of his misery much.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if the dow gets word of it they will go check it out moose and bighorn are quite rare in colorado and they do what they can. even if it is to just collect it to find out what happened. when i went to lily a bit ago we ran into 3 different DOW officers on 2 different days looking for a reported dead bighorn. if you just got a state trooper and didnt actualy speak with dow i would call back at a DOW # and speak to a dow officer not just a secretary

good luck hope that leg heals up soon and thanks for leaveing all the fish for me... ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To top it off, i just noticed the top 1/2 of my rod is missing.. must have snagged a tree once it got dark and i started stumbling back.. i checked it about 1/2 way and it was there... (only have a 2 piece, so most of it was sticking out of my pack. what a bummer...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
dude that sucks

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Very pretty area, Sucks you didnt catch anything, broke your rod and hurt your leg. One big fish would of made all that worth it. DOnt let it keep you down get back out there when you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts